Should I open pool now that pool cover water has seeped in?


Active member
May 29, 2015
Hi there,

I was planning on doing an initial drain of my pool cover as it is quite full. With the COVID-19 situation here (Ontario, Canada), my local Home Depot is closed and I can't rent a submersible pump to drain my cover as I have done in prior years. I noticed this morning that my pool cover has come loose from the coping in one section and the water from the cover has seeped into my pool and the water already looks yuck (a few weeks ago, wasn't like that when I peeked). I am wondering if I should open my pool so that I can prevent algae from growing and having a bigger problem later? I normally wait until mid-May to open but now I am concerned about what the water will be like if I wait that long. I don't know if it's warm enough at night to have a pool open? Any thoughts would be helpful. I realize that I would have to find out if liquid chlorine is available to purchase in my area as that may have an impact too. Thanks!


Gold Supporter
Jun 13, 2017
Rochester, MN
Sorry your Home Depot is closed up. Here they are considered an essential business but the only HD in town doesn't carry pool chlorine and is sold out of the regular bleach.

It's really your call. I'm still waiting for ice to melt so I know my water temperature is significantly below 50F.

If I were in your shoes, I think I'd consider water temperature and chlorine availability. Water temperature above 50F and scarce chlorine, open now so you'll need less chlorine to clear things up. Plentiful chlorine, I might roll the dice and wait a bit. Water temperature below 50F, wait for it to get a little warmer then open. Of course, chlorine availability could change quickly this year.