Should I Need to add any chlorine to cold water?

440dodge440

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 7, 2015
South Central PA
This is my second year with a pool. I'm still learning and trying to insure everything seems right. I set up a Stenner this season, and I'm adding about 7 oz of 8.25% bleach per day. This is about a .25FC loss per day. The solar cover is on full time, and the water temp is in the mid to upper 50's (it's been pretty cold for this time of year). With these temperatures, should I need to add any bleach at all? I ask because I hear people talking about FC lasting through the winter. At this rate of loss, I would be out of FC in about 1.5 months after the closing SLAM (I had 0 FC on opening with a mesh cover). If this seems right, it's fine, but if it seems off I'd start an algae search.

Your solar cover is blocking some, but not all of the UV from the sun. So I would expect a very small FC loss similar to what you are noticing. Remember, the sun is just as powerful now as it is in mid-July (that is to say, same position overhead).

If you are worried you can try an OCLT, but I really think you can chalk the loss up to solar breakdown.

Thanks...just wanted to see is it made sense. I wouldn't really be able to pick up that loss with the FAD/DPD, as that's in .5 FC increments...I guess if I really wanted to I could do a 20ml sample, but I'm not that concerned if it seems in line with what's expected....

Maybe you could do a CC test and if it's where it should be, under 0.5 you know everything is good and that 7oz is an accurate daily amount.

I am not sure what the goal is. Your Stenner seems to be working fine.....why are you considering adding chlorine? I think I am misunderstanding part of your post.

As I mentioned, people go the entire winter and still end up with FC upon opening, due at least partially to cold water. I'm simply asking if I should even need to add the 7 oz that the Stenner is adding, or should my chlorine consumption be about zero with the cold water. No intention of adding FC in addition to the Stenner.

With water in the 50s and a solar cover, your chlorine consumption could in fact be near zero and you may not need to add anything at all, so nothing unreasonable about the results you are seeing. Ultimately though, your test results will tell you what you need to add. Has your FC been holding steady or showing slight increases each day with the addition of 7 oz (about 0.2ppm for your pool)?

Sounds like at the moment you are replacing roughly what you are consuming. Assuming your target is 4 (which implies a CYA of 30) I'd just keep on keeping on as is, knowing that as it warms, swimmers get in, and that cover spends more time off your consumption will increase.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.