Should I just stop?

hitman2320

New member
Jun 16, 2010
2
Hey All,

Hoping to get some advice here. I uncovered my pool last weekend, to some nice clear water. Seems like a bunch of dirt was in the bottom, which I anticipated would clog my filter once swept up (which it did) but clear none the less. So, Ive been in the house 2 years (the pool came with it) and I've used Baquacil. Other than the price I thought it worked great. My Fiance's dad recently tore down his pool. He had a butt load of chemicals that he gave me, which were all chlorine products.

Since we're trying to save money for the wedding, I figured Id use the chlorine for at least the summer since I already have a lot of the chemicals. So, I filled my pool, which was a bit less than half filled when I uncovered it. I cleaned the filter (DE, Hayward 75 I believe) and soaked the elements over night. Started the filter up, threw some shock in (I think it was non-chlorine shock but not 100 percent sure) It went from clear to cloudy, which I expected.

So after doing some more research and seeing how much chlorine/Bleach I would actually need, Im wondering if this actually was saving me money. I dont have that much shock left, but do have a bunch of chlorine tablets. Other than that, the rest of the chemicals are the ph, calcium, alkalinity +/- chemicals that can be used with the baquacil.

Heres the current status of my pool. I used baquacil test strips last night to check and see if there was any left. They're a year old, but from what I can tell, at least according to the strips, that theres no baquacil left in the water. I woke up this morning (the filter has been on since Monday evening) the water was mostly clear, a bit cloudy but can see all the way to the bottom. I checked with my fiance (shes at home, I'm at work) and she said it looked clear to her. But, it was like that when I got home from work last night, but not quite a clear, and still had a greenish tint to it. I threw some more shock/bleach in, and it went cloudy again.

I'm wondering if its not just the baquacil and the sun killing the chlorine to clear it up before I add more chemicals. At this point, do you guys think it would be cheaper to just go back to baquacil or would the presence of the chlorine make it even worse.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
 

JasonLion

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2007
37,880
Silver Spring, MD
Welcome to TFP!

Unless you have a large supply of baquacil products, I would go ahead and finish the conversion. It will cost something right now, but you will more than make that up over the course of the entire swim season.
 

cinnay

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 8, 2010
21
Pittsburgh, PA
Finish the conversion. I had a very small amount of Baquacil left in my water, and my conversion was quick and painless. The money I've spent on bleach so far is only a small fraction of what I spent last summer on Baquacil products... and that's not including the cost of emptying and refilling my pool due to an algae problem that baquacil couldn't handle.

Today was the first day I was able to use the pool since the conversion, and I have never seen my water look more beautiful!

If you haven't already done so, check out the article in the Pool School about Baquacil conversions. It has been my bible this week!
 

hitman2320

New member
Jun 16, 2010
2
Thats for the advice guys. I actually went home from work yesterday and the pool was freakin crystal sparkling clear. I checked all the levels, and they were also perfect. I plan on buying some more dye as the stuff in the test kit I have might be a couple years old just to be on the safe side.

I gotta say, I never had a problem with the baquacil, and thought it actually worked pretty good. I just wanted to get away from the price and also having to drive all over town to find a dealer that carried it. With that said though, my pool has never looked as clear as it does now.

thanks again,
 

Other Threads of Interest