Should i get an acid pump and what model

grottoguy

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 24, 2014
NJ
My pool is going to have a waterfall, 2 laminars, jets inside a Grotto, and 2 Bubblers. From what I've read on this forum, water features may cause PH to vary and, accordingly, an acid pump may be a good idea in that situation. I have also read that a high TA fill would be a reason to add an acid pump, but I am not sure if that applies to me. First of all, I assume a "high TA fill" refers to after a pool is filled, if when you are adding additional water to the pool to replace lost water it is high in TA. But correct me if I'm wrong. I plan to have an autofill hooked up to my outdoor faucet (which I am pretty sure is connected to my water softener). I recall them bypassing my sprinkler system when I installed the water softener, but I think the outdoor faucets are connected to it. I don't know if that information is helpful in determining whether I have a "high TA fill."

If I do get an acid pump, what model should I get? Most of my equipment is Jandy (although my SWG is an Auto pilot). Is there any reason to want such a pump hooked up to my IAQUALINK?

My pool was gunited already and in a week or so the PB will be doing all the plumbing. I assume if I want the acid pump I should install it now, as I imagine it will be much harder otherwise. If you have an acid pump, does it matter where in the pool the acid get put into the pool? How exactly is that done?

Thanks

Unless your tap water (tap you draw from to fill the pool) has high TA (anything over 50 in this context), or are completely adverse to using borates, or have vastly more aeration than you are currently talking about, or plan to run the waterfall 24/7, there is almost never any need for an acid pump.

Adding an acid pump later is simple enough. It would like to use an AUX relay on your automation system, though there are ways to work around that.

What is your TA of your fill water (i.e. water coming out of the tap)? Anything about about 150 ppm will gradually raise both the TA and PH of the pool water requiring constant dosing of acid. But if you get a lot of rain, it might not be so bad. Time will tell. For me, it was a constant battle where nothing would help. Even borates so I designed my own acid dosing system:

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/3940-Homemade-Acid-OR-Chlorine-Injection-System

But are you experiencing chronic high PH and TA?

Mark, my pool isn't built yet so I don't have any data.

Jason, in 2007 you gave a great review for the autopilot PH sensor. If you still feel the same way about it can that be purchased without the ORP?

Testing my tap is a good idea. I'm going to order the test kit now. In the meantime is there any brand that makes a PH sensor and acid tank fill that does NOT come with ORP. Essentially I am asking if I don't want ORP is there a way I can avoid paying for it in order to get the PH sensor.

Most of the time, the only reason you need an acid dispensing unit is if you have high TA fill water AND you don't get a lot of rain so TA keeps climbing all the time. Otherwise it is fairly easy to maintain PH and TA with the methods taught on this site. And if you do have high TA fill water and rely heavily on that fill water, like I do, then a simple dispensing unit (e.g. peristaltic pump) is probably all you need because the amount of acid a pool needs under these conditions is usually fairly predictable and doesn't vary that quickly. I wouldn't bother with the sensor. Added cost without much of a benefit.

Just one more thing to add, being from NJ I wouldn't expect you to need much fill water given the rain you get. Plus since the pool is open for what, 3 months out of the year, it shouldn't be much of an issue for you. You probably will only need to set your TA on the low side when opening and add borates and you should be fine for the season.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.