Should I drain and start fresh with my pool?

svtcobra

Dec 3, 2019
Chicago, IL
I purchased this house back in November of last year and I'm not sure how long ago the house has been abandoned but I did confirm through this forum that the pool was winterized. Posted photos etc.

What should be the best first step I should take?

1) clean the pool
2) drain the pool and start fresh

I spoke to a couple of pool service companies and they said they would charge about $800 to $900 to drain and refill the pool.

Once that's done I keep reading that there's a lack of bleach available so how do I do the slam process after that?

Or what can I personally do to make sure that the water stays good as I won't be moving into this house for another couple of months but I will pretty much be there working and remodeling the house daily so I can also take care of pool maintenance.

Attachments

• 20200505_162204.jpg
    20200505_162204.jpg
    365.8 KB · Views: 19
Should be an easy clean-up. Should be able to find chlorine, but it may take a little more looking than a normal year. We have a tool to help you find liquid chlorine. Liquid Chlorine Tracker - Trouble Free Pool
Wow that's promising! Thanks! So so would you recommend that I just move forward in terms of buying cleaning products and keep the existing water and just clean out what I can versus draining and refilling?

Also forgive me if I'm wrong but am I able to buy the pool kits from this site or does it direct me to another site? I feel like I've read and skimmed through so much information on on information overload right now.

Best place to buy pool kits is TFTestkits.net. It’s another site, but I can vouch for the owner!

Your water doesn’t look bad. One day of keeping a close eye on it during aSLAM Process, then check it 2 or 3 times a day for a couple more days and it ought to be much improved.

Reactions: svtcobra
Best place to buy pool kits is TFTestkits.net. It’s another site, but I can vouch for the owner!

Your water doesn’t look bad. One day of keeping a close eye on it during aSLAM Process, then check it 2 or 3 times a day for a couple more days and it ought to be much improved.
Okay thanks I'll start to look into those kits I also have a 10-ft net pole to rake up the leaves which is quite a pain on the deep end. I'm going to have to post pics of an aquabot the previous owner left behind. Maybe that will help to get leaves out the deep end?

When you've got the pool clear you should also power wash that concrete, it'll make the pool area look great! Also get some concrete caulking into that one crack so it doesn't get worse when the winter hits.

All you need is some chlorine, get the solids out of the pool and run that pump/filter.

Reactions: svtcobra
When you've got the pool clear you should also power wash that concrete, it'll make the pool area look great! Also get some concrete caulking into that one crack so it doesn't get worse when the winter hits.

All you need is some chlorine, get the solids out of the pool and run that pump/filter.
Great point about the crack I completely forgot about that! I actually have been dying to powerwash the entire area I find it so refreshing.

I guess I'm trying to plan ahead here but after the cleaning process is done I do not even know how to turn on the filter etc. :( I got an estimate for my hot tub from a hot tub guy and he also said he would take a look at the pool equipment and from a quick glance he said everything looked pretty good except that one pump for a stone waterfall was not connected.

I suppose I can cross that bridge later about the pump and filter right?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.