Should booster pump be pushing water features during freeze protection?

PoolNewbie2022

Dec 5, 2021
San antonio
Hello! I have a pentair booster pump strictly dedicated for water features. When freeze protection kicks on the booster pump will run but not push water to any of the water features that are on.

I filled up the booster pump with water because I did not think that it was priming, but it’s still just continues to circulate but not send any water to the water features.

Should I expect the booster pump to run the water features during freeze protection? Or should it automatically kick on the water features as well and I need to get it looked at?
Thanks!

With my automation I have to select which features are covered by freeze protect. The pump alone isn't going to activate the water feature. What do you have?

With my automation I have to select which features are covered by freeze protect. The pump alone isn't going to activate the water feature. What do you have?
Ok thanks! I have pentair easy touch. I have an option to turn the fountains on regularly and that will activate the secondary pump which turns on the water features.

Kind of odd how when freeze protect is on, the pump just turns on, but there is no water flow.

An EasyTouch expert will come along shortly I am sure but meanwhile my Aqualink has the below screen that I must select what devices are turned on during freeze periods. In addition to the pump, I also need to select other components I want to turn on.

1674746933899.png

Reactions: PoolNewbie2022

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Freeze protection comes on, and the pump turns on. There isn’t any water that circulates when I look into the pump. It looks empty. If I turn the system off and open it up, water pours back in to where the lid was. Very bizarre.

If it is a water feature only pump, and the output valve where it goes to the water feature is turned off, then this is the expected behavior. Can you show a picture of the entire equipment pad with a focus on the feature pump and plumbing for that?

If it is a water feature only pump, and the output valve where it goes to the water feature is turned off, then this is the expected behavior. Can you show a picture of the entire equipment pad with a focus on the feature pump and plumbing for that?
Thanks. I ran the water features yesterday and everything was working just fine. Did not touch a thing and then freeze protection came on this morning and no water is coming thru the features. I wasn’t sure if maybe when freeze protection is turned on that pump just runs to keep water circulating but none of the features come on. It’s really strange.

Is the water just churning in the pump basket?

If the pump is on, then water should be moving.

It looks like the valves are open, so maybe a problem on the suction, return or maybe a problem with the impeller or seal.

Can you post a video of what is happening in the pump basket with the sound?

Is the water just churning in the pump basket?

If the pump is on, then water should be moving.

It looks like the valves are open, so maybe a problem on the suction, return or maybe a problem with the impeller or seal.

Can you post a video of what is happening in the pump basket with the sound?
Yes, thank you sir, as soon as I get back to the video and send.

Reactions: JamesW
When the pump turns on, you should see a trickle of water going into the pump basket and the flapper in front of the pump should be lifting up.

Check under the pump for a drip, which would indicate a seal leak.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.