Should bands of tile on stairs be separated by plaster or grout or does it matter?

tjk65

Silver Supporter
Jun 14, 2020
Round Rock, Tx
If you take a look at the picture below you can see my tiles are a mess. We are in central Texas and the tiles were put in the day before the big snow storm and the plaster was done a few days after the big thaw. Tiles shifted when they plastered as they did not adhere well. To me it appears that the plaster came out between the tiles. PB says they should be plaster between tiles and plaster guy says grout. Which is right? Plaster guy says tiles will look more uniform and blend if they use a gray grout. If they do plaster, each tile will look individual and won't be a clean line. I have read conflicting articles. They have to do a full drain and fix the tiles and some other plaster issues, what really should be done?

Attachments

• IMG_5245.JPG
    IMG_5245.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_5243.JPG
    IMG_5243.JPG
    112.6 KB · Views: 51
Plaster and grout are similar materials. Either can be used around tiles. So both guys are right. Which one you use depends on the look you want. There is no right or wrong answer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.