Shocking the pool

Jun 27, 2012
Austin, TX
Ok so this might be a dumb question, but am I supposed to shock the pool at a certain interval even though the pool water is fine? We have had our pool for 2 years now and are about to start the third season (90 degrees in Feb in Texas this year) and I was wondering if I should shock or not. We haven't had any problems with the water at all and the pool looks as sparkly as ever. When talking to my neighbors, they say they shock their pools every week so I was wondering if there is something I am missing.

LOL no it is what THEY are missing-A good test kit! IF your water is balanced using TFP levels and your testing and you keep the levels there you are DONE! They, on the other hand, HAVE to shock to keep ahead of the algae. After a while they will get their CYA so high they will lose the "race" and get a full blown algae bloom!

Kim:kim: (sneak over they are grab a bottle of their water and share the results with us)

Lol. Thanks Kim! I talked one neighbor who just installed a pool into doing the same stenner tank/pump setup for bleach that we have. They saw how low maintenance our pool was and wanted to do the same thing. As for the others, I tried to talk about how I do it, but they seem to prefer to go to the pool store all summer. I even did a CYA check for one family on my street and it was way over 100. They still decided to go to Leslies to get what the needed to "fix" it. :confused:

LOL no it is what THEY are missing-A good test kit! IF your water is balanced using TFP levels and your testing and you keep the levels there you are DONE! They, on the other hand, HAVE to shock to keep ahead of the algae. After a while they will get their CYA so high they will lose the "race" and get a full blown algae bloom!

Kim:kim: (sneak over they are grab a bottle of their water and share the results with us)
Agree with this. I was told to shock weekly by the pool store and ended up with +200 Cya. Keep doing what you're doing and get Kim a water sample. Trust the kit.

I told my one converted neighbor to get the TF-100 kit. They just finished the pool and the builder gave them a kit without CYA tests..

yeah, and the FC test probably tops out at 5 too. <sigh> A cheap-o test kit isn't that helpful from a pool builder yet the way they make it sound as if they're throwing in some amazing perk.... <eye roll>

Yippee :flower:

The old "shock once a week routine"... :mrgreen: Yes, that's one of the most common myths we bust over and over. You'll be ever so pleased to find it simply isn't true. Welcome to the sparkly side of pool care.

The old "shock once a week routine"... :mrgreen: Yes, that's one of the most common myths we bust over and over. You'll be ever so pleased to find it simply isn't true. Welcome to the sparkly side of pool care.

Thank you sir. I've been browsing here for a few years now. Started reading about it before we built our pool. Had ours for 2 years now with perfect pool water and I have been amazed to see how easy it is.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.