Shockin question

May 24, 2008
12
0
#1
Hi:

If I shock my pool, 15 - 19ppm, Can I still swim in the water? My CC is 0.5 and I want to shock the pool with bleach. How long do I have to wait after adding the bleach before I can swim? Is there a maximum number ,ppm, where it is not safe to swim?
 

JasonLion

LifeTime Supporter
Platinum Supporter
TFP Expert
May 7, 2007
37,879
5
Silver Spring, MD
#2
There is some disagreement on this. I feel that you are safe to swim as long as the FC is below shock level for your CYA level. Others propose higher and lower numbers. If you have any CYA in the pool, the active chlorine level is much lower, even at shock level, than many public indoor pools.
 
May 24, 2008
12
0
#3
Thank you.

Right now my FC is 8.5, CYA 50 and CC 0.5. I want to reduce the CC. Using one of the calculators, it is advised to raise the FC to 19. When I do this(with bleach) I wanted to know if this was safe to swim in.
 

JasonLion

LifeTime Supporter
Platinum Supporter
TFP Expert
May 7, 2007
37,879
5
Silver Spring, MD
#4
With CYA at 50, I recommend swimming when the FC level is between 4 and 15 (except a little lower with a SWG). Others might give higher or lower numbers, there isn't one "correct" answer.

There isn't any need to worry about a CC reading of 0.5. You only need to lower CC when it takes two or more drops to clear the water when doing the CC test.