Shock Question

Mr. Blue

LifeTime Supporter
May 10, 2013
Spring, TX (Houston)
I have read about the shock process, and have done it in the past (based on the pool store's suggestion :oops:).

I have recently been trying to get the hang of using the K-2005 kit I have, and noticed that the Chlorine level was a bit low yesterday.
I apologize that I do not have the test results handy, but this is more of a general question.

How do you know how much chlorine to add to the pool for a given low reading? I have some powder shock that I bought in 1lb bags. Usually I add in 2 lbs, but I have never shocked based on my own results.

Any help would be appreciated.

Use poolcalculator.com to determine how much you should add. But, you will not be able to measure the FC and CC accurately enough to perform the shock process with the K-2005 ... you are missing the all important FAS-DPD chlroine test.

Also, what is your CYA level? That determine the required FC level.
What type of powder shock? Dichlor add too much CYA very quickly and soon you will be replacing water. Cal-hypo adds calcium and your CH may already be high which can lead to scaling.

Stick to liquid chlorine.

I'm a rookie, but here's what I do:

pool-school/shocking_your_pool

This will tell you what your shock level is, based on the CYA (Stabilizer)
pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock

Then go here to really fine tune the details. Setup the size of the pool at the top and your goal at the bottom first, then input your actual test results. Under the FC (free chlorine) at the top, you can change the product based on the shock type you use. Change your goal to the shock level needed from above.
http://www.poolcalculator.com/

I would also recommend getting a better test kit (TF-100): http://tftestkits.net/Test-Kits-c4/

-All this has come from this site and anyone feel free to correct me-

Hmm. The Pool Calculator looks pretty cool.
I do not have any of the test results with me, I am currently at work. Is there something I can buy to complete my test kit, or do I need to buy the whole TF100?

The CYA should be very low. I recently had 0 chlorine in the pool, it was also filled with algae. I shocked it a few times (sorry, I do not know what type of shock. I can check when I get home) and added a floater with some pucks (Poollife brand I believe -- I'm assuming this is trichlor?).

I guess I should be looking into the liquid chlorine, but I'm not too sure where to get started. I've read through the BBB intro, but didn't really know how to get started.

You can order just the FAS-DPD chlorine test. Which will give you the equivalent of the K-2006:
http://tftestkits.net/FAS-DPD-Chlorine- ... t-p47.html
Or even just the R-0870 and R-0871 and R-0003 reagents.

Why do you think the CYA is low? Having low FC does not mean the CYA is low ... the pucks and some "shocks" add both FC and CYA, the FC is consumed, the CYA builds up.

Keep reading the rest of Pool School.

jblizzle said:
You can order just the FAS-DPD chlorine test. Which will give you the equivalent of the K-2006:
http://tftestkits.net/FAS-DPD-Chlorine- ... t-p47.html
Or even just the R-0870 and R-0871 and R-0003 reagents.

Why do you think the CYA is low? Having low FC does not mean the CYA is low ... the pucks and some "shocks" add both FC and CYA, the FC is consumed, the CYA builds up.

Keep reading the rest of Pool School.
I think the CYA is low because I only started adding chlorine 2 days ago. The last time I tested it (at the pool store), it was lower than their "min value".

When using the pucks, is the only way to boost the chlorine (even if it is slightly low) to shock the pool?

I am still reading Pool School. Just having some questions along the way.

Use liquid chlorine (bleach) to add/boost the FC level ... this is not called "shocking the pool" as you say ... keep reading ;)

Well, CYA seems to be the test that pool stores are the worst at. So I would not trust that. Test it yourself. If it is too low, you would be better off adding CYA separately up to at least 30ppm to protect the FC from the sun.

jblizzle said:
Use liquid chlorine (bleach) to add/boost the FC level ... this is not called "shocking the pool" as you say ... keep reading ;)

Well, CYA seems to be the test that pool stores are the worst at. So I would not trust that. Test it yourself. If it is too low, you would be better off adding CYA separately up to at least 30ppm to protect the FC from the sun.
Just read through that. :)
Ok, here's my gameplan. I'm going to order the FAS/DPD Chlorine & CC's test and get started with the BBB method. That, along with my current K-0005 should be all I need for testing, right?

One question I do have, how long to you (anyone) have to wait to get into the pool after adding the beach? Or is that a dumb question? :lol:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yup. The only difference between the K-2005 and the K-2006 is the chlorine test. DPD vs the FAS-DPD.
And the calculator with do the math for you to determine what you need to add to get a certain affect.

So after an initial test, my numbers look like this (keep in mind, I probably ended up replacing about half the water vacuuming algae, and added pucks 2 days ago. Before that, the pool had been sitting with 0 chorine for over a year. Background story: 4-hard-days-worth-it-t59369.html)

FC: 1.5
pH: 7.2
TA: 70
CYA: 0?? (The water never got cloudy)

At the moment, I have some pucks floating around in a floater.
Suggestions?

Please keep your posts together so we can all see your whole "story".

Have you added any CYA? If not, you will get 0 as a test result.

You need to start keeping chlorine in your pool but it will quickly be lost to the sun if you don't get some CYA in there as well.

I would suggest you add enough CYA to get to 30 ppm and, until you do, put a large jug of Clorox in the pool each evening after the sun is off the pool.

What does your water look like?

Mr. Blue said:
So after an initial test, my numbers look like this (keep in mind, I probably ended up replacing about half the water vacuuming algae, and added pucks 2 days ago. Before that, the pool had been sitting with 0 chorine for over a year. Background story: 4-hard-days-worth-it-t59369.html)

FC: 1.5
pH: 7.2
TA: 70
CYA: 0?? (The water never got cloudy)

At the moment, I have some pucks floating around in a floater.
Suggestions?
Remember two things:
1) CYA takes a week or so to register
2) The test won't work if CYA is below 20.

Save your CYA reagent. That K-2005 doesn;t come with very much to start with!

A few pucks taking days to dissolve are not going to do much for you for CYA. You might just have to knuckle under and buy enough plain CYA to raise it and save the pucks for vacation. They'll keep for years if you keep them dry.

Sorry, the linked post was just a "look what I did" kinda thing. I wasn't sure if it was pertinent to this question. I will make sure to keep them all together from now on.

I added some CYA the night before I did a lot of heavy vacuuming (suction to waste). I was replacing water pretty much all day so I am not sure how much remained in the pool.

Right now, the water is crystal clear.

So, should I go to the pool store and get come CYA? Also add in some bleach?

Mr. Blue said:
Sorry, the linked post was just a "look what I did" kinda thing. I wasn't sure if it was pertinent to this question. I will make sure to keep them all together from now on.

I added some CYA the night before I did a lot of heavy vacuuming (suction to waste). I was replacing water pretty much all day so I am not sure how much remained in the pool.

Right now, the water is crystal clear.

So, should I go to the pool store and get come CYA? Also add in some bleach?
Yes.

Go easy on the CYA - maybe 76% of your goal since you've obviously have a little in there from the pucks, and it's easy enough to add more later, but hard removing it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.