Shock first? Or raise alkalinity?

Miki79

Jun 3, 2010
Hi. I've almost got everything in order. I'm still reading CC 1.5 so from what I've read I need to shock the pool. Do I do this first? My pH and TA is reading a little low so I was going to add baking soda to the skimmer to raise it. Also, what is bromax for? Do I need to add some to the pool? My readings this evening were FC 7
CC 1.5
TA 60
pH 7.0ish(still hard for me to read)
I didn't test CYA. Thanks!

frustratedpoolmom

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
May 20, 2007
SWSuburban Chicago, IL
Borax raises PH. I would leave your PH and TA alone for now, test your CYA and once you know that you can shock the pool. Read How to Shock Your Pool in Pool School - you can't shock properly if you don't know the CYA level.

Heckpools

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey shore
Anytime you add the baking soda just add it into the deep end of the pool while the filter is on.
Bring your cya up to the correct level, shock, and then balance the ph & alk.

I dnt use borates, but i thought you guys added it to prevent algea not bring up the ph??

duraleigh

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 1, 2007
Sebring, Florida
20 Mule Team Borax is the correct additive when you want to raise pH but leave the TA virtually unmoved.

It is also used in conjunction with muriatic acid when you want to add borates to your pool water.

These two procedures accomplish different objectives.

svenpup

LifeTime Supporter
Nov 18, 2009
Sacramento, CA
Heckpools said:
I dnt use borates, but i thought you guys added it to prevent algea not bring up the ph??
The many uses of that modern wonder that is borax...I actually use it in my laundry too. Imagine that!

Thread starter Other Threads of Interest Forum Replies Date
K Swimming Pool Start-up and Closing 1
A Testing and Balancing Your Water 7
CactusGirl Everything Else 19

Other Threads of Interest