she's curvy, sparkling , beautiful and in Italy

in-two

Silver Supporter
Nov 13, 2011
Sabina, Italy
That's just my pool...
Two years ago I was a complete newbie ,first time pool owner, staring at the scary 'green swamp' that was a part of our newly acquired holiday home in Italy. I was calm about the house, the roof leaked, the air con and heating didn't work, the plumbing looked as if The Emperor Caligula had installed it after a heavy saturday night. This stuff I could fix, but a pool? I knew nothing, nada. I'm British/Polish so pools don't run in the family, I don't yet speak good Italian and this is a rural farming area so sheep dips yes, pools not really. I turned to the internet, who has pools? Americans! (A bit of a simplification about a nation of 300 million souls, who might want to be recognised for other , greater achievments...). I found TFP, Pool School, BBB, people who knew, (and knew the difference between knowledge and opinion), and didn't mind sharing, fantastic. Thankyou!
I've closed the pool today after a season of sparkling water, joyous games, langorous sunbathing and delighted kids so decided to stop lurking and join up. I'll be taking more than giving at first due to my inexperience, but hopefully can contribute about 'European matters' as we go on, I'm also contemplating a major re-furb., so will wander on over to 'construction, and start asking. Thanks again, indeed 'Mille Grazie'

Welcome! :wave:

It would be great if you could share with us where you could find decent test kits (similar to the Taylor K-2006 or TFTestkits TF-100, perhaps the Palintest SP 315C), alternative chemicals for adjusting TA, pH, CH (similar to Arm & Hammer Baking Soda, Arm & Hammer Washing Soda, 20 Mule Team Borax, DowFlake or Tetra, etc.), and chlorinating liquid or bleach.

Thank you for the warm welcome, I have to say that you (Chemgeek) are my hero for clear, detailed and actionable advice. I don't think I can equal that yet, but here goes:
Test Kits
I have been unable to find Taylor here in Italy, they may be available under another name ,but no luck so far. I use LaMotte color Q 7, test tab version, available from a huge internet pool store; [www.bsvillage.com] . I know you guys have reservations about these but I have found it really easy to use, and love the fact that it gives an unambiguous digital readout which I can enter straight into my records. I know this can be deceiving, and, for example, the CYA readings jump about a bit, which I guess they shouldn't if I don't use Di/Tri/Chlor or stabiliser but, in general it was the key tool in getting my pool under control. I did have difficulty getting a re-supply of test tabs, the original supplier had no stock and gave all sorts of excuses but eventually came through after months of hassling from me.
Chemicals
Routinely I use Proctor & Gamble's (P&G) Ace Candeggina bleach classica, this comes in 5 litre (+/- 1 gallon) white jugs, is available everywhere and costs about euro 3.20 a jug. I got a safety certificate out of P&G (surprisingly quick and responsive for such a huge company) which shows it contains 1-5% sodium hypochlorite, 0.1-1% sodium hydroxide and 1-5% sodium carbonate, Ph 13. It works exactly as predicted in 'Pool Calculator'. I have also found 25 litre containers of 17-18% (p/v)' Ipoclorito Di Sodio ', Sodium Hypochlorite, this is the real deal for 'shocking' and is not generally sold to the public by our (not very)local pool store, but is the weapon of choice of their service guys. I havn't worked out the comparative cost (too busy swimming) but it's a lot less carrying. Manufacturer is: Vittorio s.r.l. email; [email protected]
Soda Ash, Sodium Carbonate, is available in supermarkets, sold as a multi use detergent, as "Soda Solvay' in 1 kg boxes, manufacturer at www.sodasolvay.it
I havn't been able to find Sodium Bicarbonate in other than "cup cake' quantities, and have yet to use Borax, I might now research this as I have just closed and covered my pool and would like to put some paraquat in it, but have not yet found a source, and I understand that borax inhibits algae growth. Finally Muriatic acid (Hcl) is widely available as Acido Muriatico, mainly in hardware stores. Ask for "forte' (strong) which gets you 30-33% Baume, don't spill it in the back of your car, even German cars dissolve, don't ask me how I know!
Hope this helps, very happy to share my experiences and if anybody in Italy wants to get directly in touch, please pm me. I'm currently struggling with the mesh vs solid vs solid with vents pool safety cover decision, but it's lunchtime and the sun is shining so 'Arrivaderci'

Thanks for the info and the compliment. The ColorQ is fine to use and our reviews on that are not an unequivocal no as they are for most test strips. If one understands the issues with the ColorQ, mostly with the error with higher CH levels, then quite a few people who use it are very happy with it. Thank you also for the details on other chemicals as this will hopefully help other people in Italy who may be reading this forum. As for algae prevention, the chlorine alone should be sufficient, but it sounds like you are looking for insurance in case the chlorine level gets too low -- the Polyquat or the borates as a backup. Instead of looking for Borax, you might find it easier to find boric acid which is used in concentrated form as a roach/insect killer.