"Shelf Life" of water sample

Lskul60

May 29, 2019
Long Island
Good morning all,

My Brother-In-Law is a Noobe and a novice, and thus simply uses HTH test strips and has an app that uploads a photo of the resulting strip to get results and the recommended chemical$ to add.

He's coming to visit me this weekend, and we discussed using my TF-100 to test his sample. I've been preaching to him how accurate it is and how great TFP is.

The issue is that he's about 2.5 hours away. I'm thinking the CYA and CH will withstand the trip, but what about the FC, pH, TA, Salt ?

The sample will be in a sealed container and the car will have A/C. Think we're ok ?

thanks,
Larry

Good question following.... Also you could take a large pool sample. Do your tests, record, seal up the sample, then do it again in 3 hours to see if you get the same results. Report back here so we all can benefit from your testing!

Salt will be fine, along with your predicted CYA and CH. pH and TA will be fine as long as nobody shakes the bottle too badly. FC and CC is where it will be most unpredictable, but if the container is shielded from sunlight and the sample is kept roughly the same temperature it was when collected or less, the reading should be fairly indicative of the pool. Make sure he fills the container to the top to avoid aeration and have him wrap the sample container in a towel to shield it from light and insulate it.

Good luck.

Thank you both.
Sounds like I have a little data collection project on my hands.

Too bad I didn't do this back in April, when my 11 year old was doing his Science Fair project. I (I mean he), would have loved to win the contest and go on to the State Finals.

I'll take some data of the next several days, up thru Saturday, and post the results.

Thanks,
Larry

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.