*Shallow end, being shocked when grabbing railing*

I would check in the main panel box if you have any neutrals and grounds crossed. Check if at the neutral bar if any of the neutrals were stripped long and protrude onto the panel casing grounding it too.

I would check in the main panel box if you have any neutrals and grounds crossed. Check if at the neutral bar if any of the neutrals were stripped long and protrude onto the panel casing grounding it too.
Unfortunately, my panel is from the late 1980's; grounds and commons share the same bar :cry:

If you can get an oscilloscope to document the waveform characteristics, that might help us to figure out where the stray voltage is coming from.

Is there a particular MHz range that you would recommend?

I think that if you can get a good read on the actual signal, you might be able to figure it out.

I don't know what specific frequency to look for.

I would start with the frequencies that you have already measured.

Once you get a good signal on the oscilloscope, you can turn things on and off and watch the signal to see if it stays the same or changes as you turn things on and off.

Maybe you can try to find the signal pattern for all of the utilities that might be responsible for the stray current.

Either measure the signal or ask the utility to tell you what to expect.

Maybe you can put some sort of signal on each individual utility and then watch the oscilloscope to see if the introduced signal shows up.

Reactions: gamerfan2004
You said the shock started in June 2021.

Where are you located? Is your pool seasonal or open 12 months out of the year? Where you using your pool in May that you know this began in June?

Any work done in your house or property before this started? Go around and ask your neighbors if they had work done?

Ask around and look for an electrician who retired from the power company and understand the details of the electrical grid and how to find a current leakage to ground. They also know how to work the power utility bureaucracy for assistance.

Finding stray voltage sources take a lot of detective work. Here are two threads to give you ideas of what you are looking for:

Here is a thread that has been going on for 6 years trying to find the source of a tingle - A Slight Shock.

Here the voltage source was a streetlight connected to the house power line Bonding Issue In A Pool.

You said the shock started in June 2021.

Where are you located? Is your pool seasonal or open 12 months out of the year? Where you using your pool in May that you know this began in June?

Any work done in your house or property before this started? Go around and ask your neighbors if they had work done?

Ask around and look for an electrician who retired from the power company and understand the details of the electrical grid and how to find a current leakage to ground. They also know how to work the power utility bureaucracy for assistance.

Finding stray voltage sources take a lot of detective work. Here are two threads to give you ideas of what you are looking for:

Here is a thread that has been going on for 6 years trying to find the source of a tingle - A Slight Shock.

Here the voltage source was a streetlight connected to the house power line Bonding Issue In A Pool.
I live in Delaware. I opened the pool in May but really didn't start swimming until early-mid June. The only work done was the solar panels being taken off and put back in because we had a new roof installed. I'll certainly do my best to see if anyone has had any work done. My neighbor also has an inground pool, I'll reach out to them to see if they can do some testing as well. Thank you for the links to those other threads, I'll certainly go through them.

@JamesW I'll see if I can grab a portable oscilloscope to see that helps in any way.

Thank you everyone for all of the feedback and helpfulness.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Maybe get a tone and trace kit to introduce a tone on various wires and use the tracer to see if the tone shows up at the same places where you are getting voltage.

The tone might show up on the oscilloscope, but I don't know if it will or not.

Looks like I'll be able to get my hands on a circuit tracer, hopefully by Saturday.

I read the other two threads with electrical issues. Wow, they are crazy situations. Trying to find these issues are exhausting.......I'm at work and all I want to do is sleep :sleep:

Reactions: JamesW
Is the handheld portable type worth looking into?
Anything that can give us a look at the actual signal should be helpful.

A graphical multimeter might be an affordable choice.

Once you get a look at the signal, you can do things to try to affect the signal by turning things on or off or disconnecting or putting a tone on the line to create noise that will affect the signal on the meter.

Hopefully, you will be able to isolate the leaking wire by watching for some sort of change in the visible signal when you do something on the line.

Reactions: gamerfan2004

Once you get a look at the signal, you can do things to try to affect the signal by turning things on or off or disconnecting or putting a tone on the line to create noise that will affect the signal on the meter.

Hopefully, you will be able to isolate the leaking wire by watching for some sort of change in the visible signal when you do something on the line.

I just wanted to give kudos to this group for helping. I was having issues wiring a GFI and a timer and asked on an electrician forum and was pretty much called an idiot and told to hire an electrician. Luckily with a like help here I fixed it.
I am following because stuff like this interest my engineering brain 👷‍♂️

Awesome thanks!

Reactions: JamesW
I just wanted to give kudos to this group for helping. I was having issues wiring a GFI and a timer and asked on an electrician forum and was pretty much called an idiot and told to hire an electrician. Luckily with a like help here I fixed it.
I am following because stuff like this interest my engineering brain 👷‍♂️
Agreed! Nothing but respect and genuine helpfulness. It's very welcoming and has made a lasting impression; this community is first class 🍻

this community is first class
I’m here solely *for* said community. My pool took care of itself and I learned the chemistry (here) for fun years later.

*also I’m following to both learn and because I have a wealth of other bonding/grounding experience., doing both almost daily for 25 years. Pools are their own beast though but if I see something in my wheelhouse I’ll jump in too. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.