Shaft seal- do I need to glue? & o-rings Q

FP2

Apr 17, 2016
Los Angeles CA
Edit: fix complete, no leaks but my "quiet" pump is no more... Unbearably loud but not the shreeking squeak of a bearing... Hoping to survive summer with motor.

Hi,

Pentair whisperflo variable speed motor.

Replacing my shaft seal-- I noted the old one was glued in place, but after viewing many videos on it-- not one shows gluing (or states to glue) new seal in place (to the motor plate). They are just popping it in place and moving on to the impeller...

Could someone please clarify this for me? And if I do need to glue it what exactly do I use for glue?

**O-RINGS--
myshaft seal kit came with all of these o rings - - I know the gasket, the pump lid, and the smaller one that goes around the impeller part, - - what I don't know is what are the very small approximately 1" o-rings used for?

One of them is smaller flat, like it fits with/over a screw and I'm wondering if that is the center screw that holds on the impeller - - but when I removed the impeller screw - - there wasn't an o-ring on it. Any help?

GASKET O-RING
As it turns out, I ordered an almond gasket replacement as I thought my pump was 2008! Unfortunately when I remove the motor from the pump, turns out the gasket is black! And I learned that my pump was 2009! Also unfortunately for me it is too late to Exchange....

I can see the black gasket seems to be slightly stretched out now, & the new almond one does seem to fit in the same space. It is not to large, & doesn't seem to be to small. *Can I go ahead & use it??

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it, my pool has been sitting one year BC I couldn't afford to have anyone out to fix, finally deciding to do myself... All of the online tutorials have helped tremendously. I just have these few Q's.
Thanks again!!

** Pentair WhisperFlo variable speed motor, Hayward de filter, 26k inground pool

Last edited:
I didn't notice any drain plugs on motor, but saw 1 on pump- looks about right. The very tiny but flat rubber "washer" must be for impeller screw.
Yet original didn't have... So. ?
Also, my mistake up above- it's the seal plate gasket that's almond vs black.
I'm still learning...
Thanks for reply

I think I will just use the impeller screw by itself, since the original build of the motor, did not have the impeller screw with any type of washer.

Any help re gluing the shaft seal in place, on the motor plate side?

As soon as I figure that one out, I will rebuild this and get to turning in my swamp into a blue sparkly pool !!

Thanks for your help

Edit: fix complete, no leaks but my "quiet" pump is no more... Unbearably loud but not the shreeking squeak of a bearing... Hoping to survive summer with motor.

Hi,

Pentair whisperflo variable speed motor.

Replacing my shaft seal-- I noted the old one was glued in place, but after viewing many videos on it-- not one shows gluing (or states to glue) new seal in place (to the motor plate). They are just popping it in place and moving on to the impeller...

Could someone please clarify this for me? And if I do need to glue it what exactly do I use for glue?

**O-RINGS--
myshaft seal kit came with all of these o rings - - I know the gasket, the pump lid, and the smaller one that goes around the impeller part, - - what I don't know is what are the very small approximately 1" o-rings used for?

One of them is smaller flat, like it fits with/over a screw and I'm wondering if that is the center screw that holds on the impeller - - but when I removed the impeller screw - - there wasn't an o-ring on it. Any help?

GASKET O-RING
As it turns out, I ordered an almond gasket replacement as I thought my pump was 2008! Unfortunately when I remove the motor from the pump, turns out the gasket is black! And I learned that my pump was 2009! Also unfortunately for me it is too late to Exchange....

I can see the black gasket seems to be slightly stretched out now, & the new almond one does seem to fit in the same space. It is not to large, & doesn't seem to be to small. *Can I go ahead & use it??

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it, my pool has been sitting one year BC I couldn't afford to have anyone out to fix, finally deciding to do myself... All of the online tutorials have helped tremendously. I just have these few Q's.
Thanks again!!

** Pentair WhisperFlo variable speed motor, Hayward de filter, 26k inground pool
I know this is an old thread, but.... How'd the almond seal plate gasket work out? I ended up with the same problem, thought the pump was older. Debating whether to use old black one or almond one. Almond is about 1/32 thicker but doesn't feel as spongy.

Solar Breeze - Aquabot 4WD - TFP

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.