SF Bay Area New Pool

I think you are mistaking the lights for returns. The plan I posted doesn't show the details that includes returns. I should see the more detailed plans later this week.

Bob

Its listed in your first post.

18" back wall with 6' water feature
Full automatic cover
2 returns, 2 skimmers, 2 bottom drains
Solar Heat
Hayward equipment:
Heater: 400k BTU, natural gas

Started preparing the yard for the pool. ThevPB also just submitted our permit request so excavation may be coming soon. We are excited to move forward with this project.

Are you OCD or comfortable handing it all to PB?

1st permanent change that cant be fixed later is the dig size.

Walking the actual shape of the pool is different from seeing pictures and design plans.

They should spray paint and talk with you in advance. If you want to be more proactive you can buy a cheap 100 feet of twine and stake it out yourself.

I added about more feet (original was not wide enough for me and bumped to 16 feet wide) and tweaked the shape of my pool after staking it (free form...so maybe not as critical for your rectangle)

We will definitely be there for the staking and marking of the dig site. We are very limited in space so we won't make it bigger but it needs to be in the exact location planned to fit our other landscaping elements. I hope that we will know soon when demolition of the existing patio and the dig will be scheduled.

Bob

Today we finally received city approval of the construction permit so step 2 of the pool build process has been completed. Our PB estimates excavation in about 2.5 weeks but we should get a call from the scheduler tomorrow to set the date. We have been preparing the yard and landscaping while waiting on the permit and are excited to be starting the actual process. Will include lots of pictures as we all love to look at pools under construction.

Bob

Reactions: Snikwah

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just got word that demolition and excavation is scheduled for Wednesday 8/21 :giggle:
In speaking with the excavation superintendent for the PB, we are going to need to pull out more of our privacy hedge to allow access for the equipment. This really sucks but replanting is always possible. I will be working from home on dig day so will post lots of pictures.

Bob

Nice design. A few things you should discuss with PB..

1- You have a very tight fit there. You should have a clear plan for how the drainage will work around the pool to include any downspout water from the house, and know the exact slopes for the patio. The pool elevation will be critical and both you and the PB should know and double check the elevation before the rebar goes in.

2- Typically gunite is sprayed on to the virgin ground so compaction is not a issue However there are sometimes a few deep fills and plumbing trenches that need backfilling. Ask how they handle the backfill and compaction of any fills over 1' deep. You have a very expensive patio going on top of his work so you should insist on proper compaction of all backfills.

3- Do your research on the installation of travertine. The best installation is on top of a cement slab.

Reactions: kimkats
Finished the demolition and are now digging the pool. A little hiccup when the city made us move our equipment pad farther from the property line taking up valuable patio space. Living in the South Bay, our lots are small so there is no room to waste.

Bob

Attachments

• B7149D71-5962-4D76-8CA7-02F31ADB6570.jpeg
    B7149D71-5962-4D76-8CA7-02F31ADB6570.jpeg
    760.7 KB · Views: 40
  • BC77A270-A638-4938-A04A-4E57499C1CF1.jpeg
    BC77A270-A638-4938-A04A-4E57499C1CF1.jpeg
    631.1 KB · Views: 42
  • 8162BC55-8EC0-4791-88E6-F46DCE0FDECB.jpeg
    8162BC55-8EC0-4791-88E6-F46DCE0FDECB.jpeg
    824.4 KB · Views: 43
  • AF8DF257-5C89-4F1E-AA5D-A3CCFB2267C7.jpeg
    AF8DF257-5C89-4F1E-AA5D-A3CCFB2267C7.jpeg
    817.9 KB · Views: 44
Reactions: borjis and Snikwah
Finished the demolition and are now digging the pool. A little hiccup when the city made us move our equipment pad farther from the property line taking up valuable patio space. Living in the South Bay, our lots are small so there is no room to waste.

Bob
Yup, SJ needs you to be 5ft away from any property line. I had to move my pool over by 2ft, losing deck space around the fire pit. Ended up making the fire pit long and narrow 2ft x 8ft instead of the orignal 3ft x 5ft that was in the plans to make up some of the loss.

Day 2 of the excavation and the pool is really taking shape. We now are looking at another pad relocation to optimize usable space - lots of decisions. I did get the bad news that tiling & coping are seeing a 6 to 8 week backlog here so we will be sitting with a pool shell and dirt yard for a while. ☹️

Attachments

• FA8A5E6A-8E77-4A2A-827D-EEC7DBBA6BEA.jpeg
    FA8A5E6A-8E77-4A2A-827D-EEC7DBBA6BEA.jpeg
    654.8 KB · Views: 32

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.