Setting up Jandy True Clear to play with Pentair Superflo VS

Jun 4, 2018
NH
So, after I had the original Hayward single speed pump burn up I decided that upgrading to a VS pump made sense to help cut down on the energy expense with the pool. I went with the Pentair Superflo VS line for my 14000 gallon pool. It has worked great since last year, although I did find that the pump did not like to play nice with my Eaton BR GFCI 240V breaker. So, made a small change and installed a Siemens subpanel to put in the Siemens 240V GFCI which is rated to play nice with this pump. That seems to have been the right combo. (There is a surge breaker in the panel as well to protect the expensive pump.

Moving forward, looking at getting a SWG in with the pool to help cut down on routine maintenance of the daily chlorinating. Reading on here I am convinced SWG is the way to go. So, did some research on the types out there and decided to go with the Jandy Truclear. My pool is a 14000 gallon type and this SWG is rated for 35000 gallon.

My only question here is hooking up the Jandy to play nicely with the Pentair. The Jandy instructions say to connect it with the pump on the timer. My pump has a built in timer so there is no mechanical timer in use anymore (removed and gone). Just wondering if anyone here has something similar and would say how they hook up and run their SWG with their VS pump. I plan to have the Jandy wired to it's own breaker to keep it seperate from the VS pump line to ensure surge protection for it as well.

Welcome to the forum!
You will need to install a timer for the SWCG. Then set the times for power to the SWCG within the times the pump is set to run. Or run the VS pump 24 hours per day.

The Superflo VS has no digital means to control other devices or easily connect to automation.

Crazy thought, the SWG should have a flow sensor on it. Should I assume it would be bad form and also not good for the SWG to just let the flow sensor error it out when the pump is not running and let it turn back on when the pump runs?

Crazy thought, the SWG should have a flow sensor on it. Should I assume it would be bad form and also not good for the SWG to just let the flow sensor error it out when the pump is not running and let it turn back on when the pump runs?
The flow sensor is the secondary safety device. Removing power from the SWCG is the primary safety device.

SWCG's can explode if run without water flow through them. It does not happen often, but it does happen. There are posts in this forum showing the aftermath.

The flow sensor is the secondary safety device. Removing power from the SWCG is the primary safety device.

SWCG's can explode if run without water flow through them. It does not happen often, but it does happen. There are posts in this forum showing the aftermath.
I read about that as well. Wasn't sure if it was early ones that lacked the safety device or not. Good to know either way. Found a good digital timer in a weatherproof enclosure which will work perfectly for this. Looking forward to making this pool a bit more less labor intensive. Just need a robot vacuum to round this out.

I read about that as well. Wasn't sure if it was early ones that lacked the safety device or not. Good to know either way. Found a good digital timer in a weatherproof enclosure which will work perfectly for this. Looking forward to making this pool a bit more less labor intensive. Just need a robot vacuum to round this out.
What digital timer did you go with? I think I am going to need one for the same issue. Thanks.

Pretty much the same setup as I have, but with the Jandy TruClear Pro. Both the pump and SWG are wired into the timer on mine. One thing I've noticed, is that the pump doesn't keep time very well and will soon be out of sync. I think it's likely because of my wiring setup where it cuts power to the pump completely when the time shuts down. Not the best scenario if the timer kicks on the SWG but the pump is off-time.

I'm going to rewire it so the pump has constant power and change the old dial timer to a digital.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.