Setting speeds on an EasyTouch with IntelliFlo pump.

johig

Gold Supporter
May 23, 2019
Mission Viejo, Orange County, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Can anyone here offer any advice on how to set different pump speeds via the "features" in ScreenLogic? My pool installer set my lowest ("Pool") IntelliFlo pump RPM to 2450. This gives good flow for my spa spillover but seems higher than necessary for everyday skimming and filtering. This would not really bother me but I think it also drives up my PH, which is my biggest chemistry challenge. It would be great to set the "Pool" RPM lower for daily use and set a "feature" for running the spillover. Is this possible from the app, or does it require changes at the panel? I have access via ScreenLogic and SLConfig. Any guidance would be much appreciated. Thank you!
- Jonathan

Last edited by a moderator:
Jonathan,

I have an appointment this morning, but there are several threads covering this subject.. I'll chime back in later this morning.

You can program from your phone, but using a PC to program is much easier and better.. Do you have ScreenLogic on your PC?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim! Last time I tried to install on my PC, ScreenLogic was not compatible with my Mac or my Windows 10 PC. I will look this morning to see if there have been any updates and install if that is now possible. Otherwise, I’ll be stuck with ScreenLogic and SLConfig on the iPhone.

Jonathan,

Check out this thread and see if that answers your pump speed questions.. Programming Speeds

Check out this thread and see if that answers your spillway questions.. Scheduling spa spillway

I use windows 10 and ScreenLogic???

You don't need to use a PC, it just makes it easier to compare my screenshots with what your system looks like.. You can do the same thing using your phone..

Please let me know what does not make sense..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks so much! That gave me enough clues to get it done on my iPhone. After that I got ScreenLogic installed successfully on my PC, too.

At some point I will try to understand how the valve control works, but that is for another day!

For what it's worth, I also donated and became a Supporter today. I really value all the advice I've received from you and others on this forum!

Reactions: Dirk
ScreenLogic runs fine on a Mac, but not on their latest OS releases, which no longer support 32-bit applications. Are you listening Pentair? Get it together! Oh, well, you know, please, and all that.

ScreenLogic runs fine on a Mac, but not on their latest OS releases, which no longer support 32-bit applications. Are you listening Pentair? Get it together! Oh, well, you know, please, and all that.
^ This exactly! 32-bit has been on the way out for a long time. Not having a 64-bit update ready for ScreenLogic on Mac was a big oversight.

For what it's worth, I also donated and became a Supporter today. I really value all the advice I've received from you and others on this forum!

Jonathan,

Thanks for supporting this site... We are all volunteers here and without people like you there would be no TFP... and then I'd have to find something useful to do with my time... :mrgreen:

Jim R.

It wasn't an oversight. Developers have known about 32-bit support going away for years (three, I think, at least). It was a bean-counter decision. Not enough of us squeak, so are wheels get no grease. Pentair never made a Mac version in the first place. It's a hacky port, using software that allows PC software to run on a Mac. We never get no respect!! :rant: And I wouldn't be surprised if we never get a proper Mac version of the software.

Come to think of it, ScreenLogic is probably on the chopping block anyway. Their new automation systems don't use it, so ScreenLogic is likely at its end-of-days...

Follow up question... is there a way to force my SWG to stay on when using Features or the Spillover mode? I have separate SWG % settings in the app for "Pool" and "Spa" but I don't see any way to choose a setting for other conditions. Ideally, I would prefer the SWG to default to "on" anytime the pump is running. There are some clues in the other threads about nesting the feature schedules within the overall Pool schedule, so I will try that. But what if I randomly want to run the spillover manually, is there a way to get the SWG to run with it? Thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
is there a way to force my SWG to stay on when using Features or the Spillover mode?
The SWCG will only run at full power in Pool Mode. It runs at partial power in Spa Mode.
So the SWCG will only run while you have the Pool Mode scheduled. Say you schedule the Pool Mode from 9a to 9p. The base rpm would be the Pool Mode rpm to satisfy the flow switch. Any Features run during that time frame with higher rpm will run and the SWCG will run as normal. If you engage Spa Mode during that time, the SWCG will ramp down to the % generation set for when in Spa Mode.

If you manually start a Feature outside of the scheduled Pool Mode time, the SWCG will not run.

Thanks Marty! That matches my observations from experimenting, but I was hoping to be wrong in this case. I suppose it make sense from the perspective that you would not want to accidentally overdo the chlorination.

With that said, I'd still be happy to hear from anyone in the unlikely event that someone has found a workaround :)

I have to admit... the programming of my ET is a bit of a mystery to me. My pool guy did it originally, and while I have made changes to satisfy my requirements, I'm not sure I could program one from scratch. Anywho... I don't have a spa, but I have two actuators. One works the cleaner, the other solar. And as Marty described, I can up my RPM during Pool Mode, for a fast skimming session, and the SWG stays on. I do use Spa mode, to keep the solar heater running without the SWG. But I thought I could set the SWG setting during Spa mode to any percentage, 0 to 100, just as in Pool mode. I don't see where the SWG is inhibited in Spa mode. I digress.

I was just wondering if johig could use the Solar feature in some way to do his bidding. When Solar engages, in Pool mode or Spa mode, I can control the SWG % and pump speed and it moves the Solar actuator. Could the ET be "fooled" into thinking it has a solar system when it doesn't, to instead run the spillover actuator(s)? When "solar" was on, the appropriate actuator would turn on the spillway (instead of sending water to the roof), and the RPMs would ramp up to the optimum spillway speed, and the SWG would stay on (just as they do for a solar system). Then it would be a matter of manipulating the solar thermostat settings, and/or roof top temp sender and pool water temp sender to fool the ET into thinking the water was always colder than what the roof could provide so whenever Solar heat was called for the ET would go into Solar mode (spillway mode), or perhaps using the ET's "Solar" button, to engage the spillway. Something like that? I can barely describe it let alone program it!! You might have to provide the proper resistors across the ET's temp sender terminals, to manipulate it into calling for Solar heat full time? You could even schedule multiple Pool mode schedules, one with "solar" and one without, to program your spillway runtime (the ET would think it's heating the pool with solar and SWG, but really only running the spillway with SWG)?

It's a stretch. I was just thinking outside the box a bit. I "fooled" my ET into thinking I have a spa when I don't, to eek out an extra feature mode I wanted. Maybe there's someway to fool it into your spillway mode by making it think you have a solar heater?

Jonathan,

I am somewhat puzzled... When I use a feature circuit and select the Spillway circuit, my system stays in the Pool Mode.. Spillway seems to come on (I don't have a spa) but the pump speed increases..

I guess I don't fully understand your issue.. Just don't turn off the Pool or Spa mode and your SWCG will work... What "Feature" do you turn on, that turns off the Pool or Spa mode??

Confused... :scratch:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim - I think the problem is my understanding and expectations. Having only ever used Pool and Spa modes until this week, I just assumed that pump running = SWG running. That was a bad assumption. To be honest, I was also not very organized in my testing and experimenting with my new settings (i.e., turning things on and off at random to see what happened). I will set up a schedule that overlaps the Spillway runtime with Pool mode and verify what happens. The good thing about being stuck working from home is it is very easy to check in on the equipment at all times of the day! Thanks for the guidance.

Jonathan,

My universal recommendation is to schedule the Pool or Spa Circuit to be on for the total amount of time you want the pool running no matter what else is going on.. And set the Pool mode at the slowest speed you ever want to run..

Let's say 8 am until 8 pm at 1200 RPM..

Anything else you do between 8 and 8 should not change the system being in the pool or spa mode

If you turn on a feature to increase pump speed to 1500, the speed will ramp up until you turn the feature off.. The pump will then drop back to the Pool speed.

If you turn on a cleaner... a valve may turn and the speed may change again, but you will still be in the pool mode..

Push the icon to turn on the spillway.. Valves should move, pump speed may change, but you will still be in the pool or spa mode.

Play with it and tell us what is not working,

Thanks,

Jim R.

^^^ What Jim said. Exactly how it works for my pool. With one exception. My cleaner cycle is scheduled outside of my Pool Mode schedule, so my SWG doesn't run while the pool is vacuumed. You can have it either way.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.