Semi Inground (Fiberglass) question

uvavi8r

Gold Supporter
Aug 8, 2020
Falls Church, VA
TFP Braintrust, we are getting close to delivery & installation dates (I hope) and have re-evaluated our install. Not necessarily the location, but where/how to deal with a slight slope in the yard. It is hard to tell from the attached photo, but the area near the corner of the fence is about 18-24 inches higher than the patio. We were initially going to just level everything out and run a retaining wall along the fence, however, in the course of waiting for the shell to be manufactured, we had some "thinking/browsing" time on our hands. We have seen some examples of pools that have partially exposed edges and thought that "IF" it were possible (which I am 99% sure it is) and it wasn't too cost prohibitive, we would consider leaving the edges of the pool closest to the patio exposed about 18". Not only would this provide some seating for kids, I think it has a bit of a modern look which fits with our house. I have attached 2 pictures, one with the layout of the pool, the second has arrows pointing to where the pool edges would be exposed.

My question, how thick does any supporting wall have to be on the edges that are exposed? Could it just be a poured concrete wall or is a cinder block wall better? I do understand there will be some challenges with the pool cover as it will have to "go over" the sides. I just wanted an idea of what was within the realm of the possible before the installers show up...

The way I looked at it, we are going to have to have "wall work" done one way or the other, we liked the aesthetic of some partially exposed walls and some additional seating down near the patio. Any thoughts or recommendations are greatly appreciated.

IMG_0058.jpegPool Diagram.jpg

Not that you asked, but an alternative to consider...

The idea of stepping up to get into a pool is strange to me. Walking out my door and just diving in is the way I like to get in. I think the raised wall in front will look more like a half buried dough boy (no offense to AG pool owners intended). And the notion that the pool wall, or the coping, or a raised deck will add seating capacity... I get it, but that, too, seems weird. Sorry to be so blunt, but I'm working towards some constructive criticism.

What would look contemporary, and cool, and say "Hey, we've got a built in pool, and an amazing yard," is to put the wall behind the pool. Which would create a raised planter, which you could fill with some amazing landscaping and garden lights that would look stunning in the day and even better at night. It might also eliminate engineering a wall in front to support the pool. Like so:

038web2_thumb.jpgd5bd5220da48f017e67c1bf8adfe7614.jpgmcguire-3.jpgRetaining-Wall-for-Pool-DiSabatino_Wilmington-DE-19810.jpgRisheberger 2.JPG
unnamed.jpg

Last edited:
@jimmythegreek - that is what were were considering, I was just curious as to the construction of the wall that surrounds the exposed FG shell. As well, at what point does the wall get built? Prior to setting the shell, or after?

@Dirk - we considered the wall on the back side of the pool...unfortunately, that is where we need to put the deck (for sun and a bit of privacy). We haven't decided on what direction we are going (a level pool with a retaining wall seems simplest to me), I just want to be prepared when our installer shows up.

Reactions: Dirk
The wall gets built after. Usually a poured wall, but reinforced block that is filled would work.
One thing I will say is I'm adamantly against pools that are high at the near side. Only reason is you cant see little kids heads when pool is above you. It's a major safety issue. a pool built like that had a drowning years ago and one of my first jobs was demoing that pool for the pain it caused them to look at it. I never forget those poor people it haunts me to this day

@jimmythegreek - thanks for the reminder about risk mitigation, we will have decking around 2 of the sides, but the wall would be raised near the patio...I will chat with the Mrs about it. It is looking to me like it makes more sense to level the lot and put a retaining wall in back...The good news, she is in the tile and stone business, so we can get creative with the pool deck.

Thanks...I am having some serious anxiety about this...I work for the USN now that I retired, I specialized in acquisition...so you can probably imagine how many spreadsheets I have and projections for overruns, unexpected expenses and just general mayhem as a result of having someone dig a 11K gallon hole in my back yard. This forum has been very helpful in guidance and recommendations...

Sorry if I pooped on your plans but it's a real issue. I think layered elevations look best going up as they go away from you. Let us know of ur choices as you go amd we'll share our experiences with them. You are in frost country so keep that in mind. What you see in FL may not be practical in VA

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sorry if I pooped on your plans but it's a real issue. I think layered elevations look best going up as they go away from you. Let us know of ur choices as you go amd we'll share our experiences with them. You are in frost country so keep that in mind. What you see in FL may not be practical in VA
No worries at all, we hadn't finalized anything and honestly it was becoming a bit of feat from other aspects (winterizing and dividing the yard) which is why I reached out...better to be prepared before they start digging than to figure it out on the fly.

The collective minds here are a great resource for exploring such things. Once in a while, when enough of us put our heads together, we can almost manage to get up to one whole brain! 🤪

Reactions: Newdude
We have a similar slope, we are putting in stairs & 2 retaining wall/seat walls (will be $$$ but I liked having built in seating options, also will go well with existing fire pit) and having the pool & patio level with the yard.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.