Semi Closing a pool question

TheSadClown

Jan 22, 2020
Surf City, NC
So this is my first time covering up the pool for the winter and I wanted to know what I should be doing.

I plan on covering it with a winter cover but I also don't want to have to drain the pump or any of that. Can I still just run my pump a few hours a day to keep the water circulating but not using the swg?

as you can see by my info I am from Surf City, NC and it really doesn't get to freezing temps or snow that often.

Im trying to do this the smart way so any input would be greatly appreciated.

You probably should still add chlorine to the pool during this period of time or you will be opening to swamp. We sometimes get below freezing here but I still keep the pool open and uncovered during the winter. I also keep the SWG running and it will occasionally shut off due to low water temps but this is not an issue. I would keep the SWG running during this period unless you want to manually dose.

You probably should still add chlorine to the pool during this period of time or you will be opening to swamp. We sometimes get below freezing here but I still keep the pool open and uncovered during the winter. I also keep the SWG running and it will occasionally shut off due to low water temps but this is not an issue. I would keep the SWG running during this period unless you want to manually dose.

If I do it this way and put a winter cover on it I should be good to continue just running the pump? Would I need to put in one of those winter pills then? or is that still a good idea to do.

The winter pill contains questionable ingredients & not recommended.
Your swg should continue to produce chlorine unless the water gets @/below 52 degrees then it should throw a warning light & cut off @ which point you should dose w/ liquid chlorine.
The tfp closing method just requires raising to slam level before closing if you are monitoring your levels & maintain your fc algeacide is probably not needed.
At low water temps with it covered your fc will probably last a while.
Just be sure to run your pump when freezing temps are expected if u go this semi closing route.
If i close @ 60 degrees @ slam level i open w/ fc above my target for my cya before the water is 60 degrees.
Here’s the info on closing

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.