Selecting pool finishes

MaggyC

Jul 17, 2019
Costa Mesa, CA
Hi All--I am so glad I found this board. We are constructing a pool now and it is time to pick finishes. I didn't realize how overwhelming the choices are! Our builder uses NPT. I am attaching some our inspiration pictures--we would like a bright, clean modern look to the pool so I'd love any input with specific finishes that would accomplish that goal. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Pool 3.jpg
    Pool 3.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 53
  • Pool 2.jpg
    Pool 2.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 53
  • Pool 1.jpg
    Pool 1.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 51
That plaster is white plaster. It gives such a pretty, clean, bright, refreshing looking, welcoming look to the water!! It is also one that does not show the imperfections some colored plasters do. WIN-WIN to the max.

Water line tile-Do you LIKE bling? Or would you prefer it to blend in with the plaster? Do you like 6x6, 2x2, 2x1 size tiles? I will wait on these answers to help with this part.

Kim:kim:

I think that white bright look is what we are after, but we have been told that plaster is not as durable long term. We have children and the pool will be used very frequently. I'm wondering if there are StoneScape options with glass that might achieve a similar look. For tile, we have no idea! Overall we like very clean and modern--we are open and exploring various options. Our builder is steering us to glass tile, but we aren't sure if that can give us the look we want.

That plaster is white plaster. It gives such a pretty, clean, bright, refreshing looking, welcoming look to the water!! It is also one that does not show the imperfections some colored plasters do. WIN-WIN to the max.

Water line tile-Do you LIKE bling? Or would you prefer it to blend in with the plaster? Do you like 6x6, 2x2, 2x1 size tiles? I will wait on these answers to help with this part.

I would think the white plaster would show MORE imperfections such as dark spots/stains which a colored plaster would kinda mask. A neighbor just had a pool built last month with white plaster and they had a lot of very noticeable imperfections and stains already in the color. But when done the right way, white plaster looks so much better and "cleaner" IMO.

Last edited:
Maggy,

A few years ago I had a rent house pool replastered.. I cheap'd out and went with plain white plaster.. While I love the color of the water, I hate the white plaster.. I have other pools that have some type of pebble finish.. With those pools I have zero maintenance. With the white plaster, every stain shows up... yes, I can remove them, but it is still a pain.

I was trying to save a few bucks on the plaster job.. What a mistake.. Never again will I install plain white plaster.

I also would never install glass tile in a pool or spa.. The less grout the better in my mind.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Dark plaster show mottling more than lighter plaster is what I was talking about.................BUT I would listen to Jim as he has real life experience!!

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that tile!!! It is one of my favs!!! I LOVE me some BLING!

My pool has white plaster with classic light blue tile. The goal was a classic, somewhat mid century modern styled pool.

White plaster can last 10-20 years if not abused. Frequent use of the pool should have no bearing on this. What causes durability issues is improper chemical maintenance (or occasionally application). All plaster finishes (colored or not) will have imperfections. However, millions upon millions of pools have white plaster finishes with most not having an unreasonable amount of imperfection.

The look you may want might best be achieved with white 6” tile (and white plaster). Clean look and doesn’t show calcium scale as easily as darker colors.

Last edited:
Reactions: kimkats
I think that white bright look is what we are after, but we have been told that plaster is not as durable long term. We have children and the pool will be used very frequently. I'm wondering if there are StoneScape options with glass that might achieve a similar look. For tile, we have no idea! Overall we like very clean and modern--we are open and exploring various options. Our builder is steering us to glass tile, but we aren't sure if that can give us the look we want.

Plaster is pretty durable. "Frequent use" isn't going to wear it down, but poor maintenance can have a negative effect on lifespan. This is also true for pebble finishes which still use plaster but have decorative pebbles at the surface. Diligently maintaining proper pool chemistry will maximize the lifespan of any pool surface, as well as equipment like heaters. We replastered our pool in 2016, a couple of years after we moved in. The previous owner built the pool in 1973 and resurfaced the pool in 1998, so it's not unrealistic to expect up to 20 years from plaster alone.

I had white plaster for 15 years with no staining problems. Five years ago I replastered with dark grey and it does show more variation over time, but that is part of the appeal. I agree on the glass tile. If I could go back in time, I would do regular six inch tile.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I had white plaster for 15 years with no staining problems. Five years ago I replastered with dark grey and it does show more variation over time, but that is part of the appeal. I agree on the glass tile. If I could go back in time, I would do regular six inch tile.

I have a 3" strip of 1" glass tile in my plaster pool. No issues and still looks great.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.