Feb 19th update, New Build in Tampa - Travertine Paver Deck & Solar (Partially Installed)

Do you have a lanai so you can have a fan out there? I'm never there in the summer but know she has a fan out there.

My sister lives in Wesley Chapel and works at USF. You can just buy her house if you want a pool. She's listing by December to downsize. Moving to...Wesley Chapel.

Reactions: usfbull
No lanai, small world my wife works at USF and we both graduated from USF. No thanks on Wesley Chapel. we live close to downtown and built only 4 years ago. I had always told my wife if she wanted a pool we should just buy a house with a pool...well we didnt and now we want one and are happy with our house and where it's located...oh well!

So does the 20x20 really cut down air movement in a big open space like a pool cage?

No lanai, small world my wife works at USF and we both graduated from USF. No thanks on Wesley Chapel. we live close to downtown and built only 4 years ago. I had always told my wife if she wanted a pool we should just buy a house with a pool...well we didnt and now we want one and are happy with our house and where it's located...oh well!

So does the 20x20 really cut down air movement in a big open space like a pool cage?
I'm checking to see if she knows what her screen is and what she feels the airflow is like. Though I suspect hers is already somewhat still due to privacy hedges on both sides.

She said they have the standard screen, not the 20x20. They do get nice breezes and have no bugs. They have a good size pond right behind their house. They had a cage before then got the same screen when they built this house. They had a nature preserve behind their first house.

Thank you! After hearing a few people say it might not be necessary and now you confirming your sisters experiences. I’m thinking it should be fine to go with the standard screen mesh size which would also save $900.

And maybe save some money on heating with a bit more sunlight getting through. Every little bit counts.

And maybe save some money on heating with a bit more sunlight getting through. Every little bit counts.
Ah yes a heater that is an entirely other issue! The quotes for the most part from the PB’s seem very highly for adding heat pumps compared to actual costs. I think we might just go without and see if we want one add it post build?

Anyone have thoughts on Filter size? The pool will be under a cage, most are quoting is the Pentair CC 150 and will charge ~$100 to go the 200 sqft CC. Is that large enough for our design and being under a cage? Seems to me it is but wanted some other opinions.

The cost to go up to the 420 sq ft filter is ~$50 extra but not really sure it is necessary or money well spent.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'll let others chime in, but I would think mesh is only stopping larger debris like leaves from getting into your pool and they mostly get trapped in the skimmer or pump basket anyways.

Standard recommendation is to get the largest filter you can afford and fit on your equipment pad. The larger the filter, the less you have to clean it.

Well it is $450 extra to go from the 200 sqft to the 420sqft. Can I afford it, yeah I guess so but is it necessary to spend that extra $$ when the pool will be under a cage is my question. I get that everyone says just get the largest you can afford but is their no optimal size? For example with the swcg most say go twice as large.

Reactions: PoolNewb2
I'll let others chime in, but I would think mesh is only stopping larger debris like leaves from getting into your pool and they mostly get trapped in the skimmer or pump basket anyways.
I agree with @guinness Go with the larger size because you really need the filter for fine particle materials to make your water crystal clear and also to stop those that get through 1) your screen enclosure, 2) your skimmer basket, 3} your pump basket. Also, not trying to put a hex on you but you do live in Tampa - if a storm knocks down your screen then you be wishing you had a good filter. In my view, upfront costs are always cheaper in the long run when trying to derisk your investment.

Don't even think twice about the heat pump. Do it. I had pools in MI and GA - both had heaters, and I initially thought I might not need one here. The screen knocks down way more sun than you think - both for UV rays and heating effect. I have a 144K heat pump on my small pool, and it works great. With the screen here in FL, my pool never goes above 90 and is almost always between 87-89 during the summer.

I like the pool at 88 most of the time, and the heater gives me that during the colder months of the year. In December, it runs less than an hour a day - in Jan and Feb it runs anywhere from 1-3 hours and keeps the pool at 88.

I agree with the other posts on filters - get the biggest you can fit. My pool is only 6,750 gallons. I have 200sf filter and still need to clean it every two months. If I had the 450sf filter, it would only be twice a year.

I would not have a 3' shallow end. You'll regret it within a year. My pool goes from 4' to 5' - we wanted to just do 5', but code doesn't allow it. We wish we had done 4' to 6' now.

The one big thing I would change for anybody that doesn't have a true deep end is to install a channel drain instead of two main drains. The standard drains stick up quite a bit, and when the pool is only 5' or 6' deep, folks hit their feet on them all the time. It also causes an issue with most cleaning robots. If I ever build another pool, it will have a channel drain.

I don't see automation listed - I would consider it. It allows you to truly use your VS pump to save money.

Last edited:
I agree with @guinness Go with the larger size because you really need the filter for fine particle materials to make your water crystal clear and also to stop those that get through 1) your screen enclosure, 2) your skimmer basket, 3} your pump basket. Also, not trying to put a hex on you but you do live in Tampa - if a storm knocks down your screen then you be wishing you had a good filter. In my view, upfront costs are always cheaper in the long run when trying to derisk your investment.
If a storm knocks down my screen then that is an entirely new problem :)

Don't even think twice about the heat pump. Do it. I had pools in MI and GA - both had heaters, and I initially thought I might not need one here. The screen knocks down way more sun than you think - both for UV rays and heating effect. I have a 144K heat pump on my small pool, and it works great. With the screen here in FL, my pool never goes above 90 and is almost always between 87-89 during the summer.

I like the pool at 88 most of the time, and the heater gives me that during the colder months of the year. In December, it runs less than an hour a day - in Jan and Feb it runs anywhere from 1-3 hours and keeps the pool at 88.

I agree with the other posts on filters - get the biggest you can fit. My pool is only 6,750 gallons. I have 200sf filter and still need to clean it every two months. If I had the 450sf filter, it would only be twice a year.

I would not have a 3' shallow end. You'll regret it within a year. My pool goes from 4' to 5' - we wanted to just do 5', but code doesn't allow it. We wish we had done 4' to 6' now.

The one big thing I would change for anybody that doesn't have a true deep end is to install a channel drain instead of two main drains. The standard drains stick up quite a bit, and when the pool is only 5' or 6' deep, folks hit their feet on them all the time. It also causes an issue with most cleaning robots. If I ever build another pool, it will have a channel drain.

I don't see automation listed - I would consider it. It allows you to truly use your VS pump to save money.
Looking at doing a sport pool with one side 3.5’ then 5.5’ in the middle and 4’ on the other end.

Ok sounds like the 420 sq ft is the way to go.

wow you like your pool to feel like the Gulf of Mexico :)

looking to do simple automation (intelliconnect)

yeah, trying to decide between heat pump and natural gas heater.
I see you have a canvas cover on your screen, I have never seen that before. Does it work well?

If a storm knocks down my screen then that is an entirely new problem :)
I lived in South Louisiana as a young boy. We had a pool and a screen enclosure. Had a rare ice storm. The weight of the ice laying on the screen torn down the screen brackets (not the screen itself) from the house. Once 1 side fell, the others caved in as well. It was a mess to clean up. After that, no more screen enclosure. So unusual things can happen.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.