Seeking advice - suction cleaner and variable speed pump

AM18

Nov 30, 2019
Sydney, NSW
Hi guys

New to the forum and to pool ownership - thanks in advance for your help.

I have a Hayward Tristar VS pump and have just purchased a Pentair Rebel 2 suction cleaner. I also have the Poolrite style vacuum plate with the valve to control the skimmer.

I’ve followed the instructions to install the cleaner including using the flow gauge supplied as well as doing a manual RPM count by observing the wheel turning on the cleaner.

With both the skimmer suction valve and the cleaners suction valve both completely closed (i.e. giving the cleaner full suction), I’m getting 15 rpm (recommended is 16-18 for correct function). Should I be concerned that I’ve also effectively disabled the skimmer to achieve this? Note - the cleaner rpm noted is with the pump running at V1/1100 rpm

The pump setup is out of the box from what I can see. It starts in prime at 3000 rpm for 2 mins, then stays at 3000 rpm for another 5 and then drops to V1 for the remainder of the cycle at 1100 rpm.

Should I be looking to adjust the pump settings to run at a higher RPM in v1 mode to get the cleaner to the recommended 16-18 rpm and give it enough to operate the skimmer at the same time?

Cheers

Welcome to the forum!

Note - the cleaner rpm noted is with the pump running at V1/1100 rpm
That's the problem. You will need to run at a much higher RPM if you want the cleaner and skimmer to work at the same time. You lose some of the efficiency of having a VS pump when using a suction (or pressure) side cleaner. Robots are much more efficient since they don't require the pool pump to run.

Welcome to the forum!

That's the problem. You will need to run at a much higher RPM if you want the cleaner and skimmer to work at the same time. You lose some of the efficiency of having a VS pump when using a suction (or pressure) side cleaner. Robots are much more efficient since they don't require the pool pump to run.

Thanks for the reply.

I recently had solar panels installed so I’m not too fussed if I have to crank the pump up a little bit - just not sure to what’s reasonable yet for extended run time.

I did have a look at the robot cleaners. TBH it wasn’t even a financial consideration for going for the suction cleaner. It was more that I wanted something to leave in the pool to do it’s thing while the pool was running during the day to pick up the dirt off the floor. I like to use the pool of an evening during the week.

Should I set the pump to say 1800/2000 rpm and then gradually open the skimmer valve to a point where the cleaner rpm falls within the recommended range?

thanks

Set the RPM for the task. It is not possible to predict what that value might be so trial and error is your best bet.

Set the RPM for the task. It is not possible to predict what that value might be so trial and error is your best bet.

Thanks!

Playing around with the pump speed this morning. V1 is actually currently set to 1800rpm (not 1100).

Bumping it up slightly to 1900 gIves the cleaner a bit more power to go up the walls easily.

Given the type of vac plate I have, I actually don’t think there is any point in trying to get the skimmer to operate at the same time... no leaves can get drawn into the basket anyway while the vac plate is on.

Attachments

• F1FB10CD-1610-4379-81CC-6D5D31D0DF01.jpeg
    F1FB10CD-1610-4379-81CC-6D5D31D0DF01.jpeg
    313 KB · Views: 18
Do people have any advice on whether completely closing the vacuum plate skimmer valve to give the cleaner more suction will potentially cause issues?

I’m thinking of the cleaner gets blocked for some reason, this could put strain on the pump.

Do people recommend opening the skimmer valve a bit more and increasing the pump rpm from 2000 to 2200/2400 rpm?

Apologies for the dumb questions.

As long as the pump gets some water through it, there should not be an issue. But blocking all water flow can overheat the pump. However, most suction cleaners have a built bypass valve that should prevent total blockage.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.