Seeking Advice: Best Northeast WINTER Pool Cover (Tarp style)?

phappy

Aug 25, 2013
Hi everyone! I don't know why....but I've had such poor luck with winter covers over the last few years. Has quality really dropped? Winter covers int he past seemed to last for 8+ years with no problems. I would like to ask you for some help & advice, in particular those of you that have in ground pools in the Northeast or other areas where it gets cold/etc.

I bought two Robelle winter covers from Amazon., and both were poor quality & discarded. The first easily allowed water to raise up above it (through the cover itself...poor spacing between strands?). They were good enough to replace it with a new cover. But the second one lasted two seasons and RIPPED.

I thought I bought the highest quality cover, but that didn't matter I guess.

So...could you recommend some high quality pool cover manufacturers? And if you have any insights in to what to look for in a high quality cover, that would really be helpful too.

Thanks very much everyone.

AndyTN

Bronze Supporter
Mar 27, 2019
Memphis
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
While I don't live up north and don't have any icing in winter, I usually make it 3 years before I need to buy a new tarp. I purchase mine directly from tarp manufacturers who make them in the US rather than somewhere like Amazon but don't really have major expectations for keeping them for many years. I haven't had one tear but get lots of tiny holes each year. If you are looking for something more durable, you can get a pool safety cover but the cost will be much higher, which is why I just spend ~$250 every 3 years on a new tarp.

I think I bought mine last year from Tarps Plus and bought the super heavy duty silver/black.

I have a lot of trees which sticks fall onto the tarp all winter contributing to the tiny holes even if they don't puncture the tarp. I have not tried it yet but someone on TFP recommended I don't just throw away my old tarp but to put the old one on top of the new tarp to act as a buffer against the sticks. It couldn't hurt since you would just throw away the old one.

Newdude

Mod Squad
Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 16, 2019
NY
I’m moving to a house with an above ground and will be closing it with a Harbor Freight tarp with floats under it to make it tent like. I’ve helped friends close their above grounds for 25 years and seeing their expensive covers only last a couple of years, if I get 2 I’ll be happy replacing the tarp.

phappy

Aug 25, 2013
Thank you both for your replies! I think I'm going to try to see if I can get an Arctic Armor 15 or 20 years cover. They appear to run $170 or so. I'm hoping they are a tougher/better quality than the Robelle covers I had purchased on Amazon (yuck..substandard quality)

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This is an inactive thread. Any new postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. You will get much more visibility by Starting A New Thread