Secondary pump system?

Macboy

Bronze Supporter
May 18, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
We upgraded our pump/filter last season to a big Intex sand filter/pump. We are adding the Intex SWG this season and after reviewing threads here I wonder if it's worth digging out the small cartridge pump that came with our pool and setting the SWG on it's own piping loop and timer so it can run longer but at lower flow (and less electricity) than running through the big pump which we only run 3 hours a day or so. I have two poll outlets sitting doing nothing (plugged) so getting water out is a piece of cake and I'm happy to just dump it back in over the edge of the pool.

Interesting idea. If you use only one inlet for your suction you are creating an entrapment issue. That is unsafe.

Mechanically it should work fine.

You mean there's a reason there were two inlets that went to a tee and then to the pump in the factory configuration? I always wondered what the heck it was set up that way for. I could certainly use both. Still have all the plumbing. What makes it unsafe to use only one?

Two inlets are required by the US Virginia Grahame Baker Act. This was predicated by the grand daughter of a US Senator dying by becoming entrapped in a spa suction and drowning.

One inlet can entrap someone. Two inlets will not allow that to happen.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.