Second season, pH still going up

march2012

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 21, 2012
TX
So Im in my second season. My pool should be cured. But Im still using about 2 gallons of acid a month. This is a lot better than last year when I was using 16-32 ounces/day

We dont have any water features, but we do have a spa spill over that I barely have running, just enough to keep water flowing into/out of the spa. It doesnt really splash, but just keeps the tiles on the spillover wet.

There is a small air leak on the spa returns so a few bubbles come through

Some of the returns disturb the surface water, but no bubbles or anything, just surface swelling and swirling

Are these enough to cause pH to keep rising? Could it be anything else?

jblizzle

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 19, 2010
Tucson, AZ
Everything you mentioned will contribute some, but the bigger question is: What is your TA? If that is high, then that will drive the pH up faster.

Then the question is what is the pH and TA of the water you use to top off the pool?

march2012

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 21, 2012
TX
jblizzle said:
Everything you mentioned will contribute some, but the bigger question is: What is your TA? If that is high, then that will drive the pH up faster.

Then the question is what is the pH and TA of the water you use to top off the pool?

My TA is 60, TA of fill water is 170, pH 8.3

Richard320

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 6, 2010
San Dimas, CA (LA County)
Yeah, that'll do it.

I learned from experience that every inch of water I add to my pool requires about a cup of acid. Now I just dump it in while I'm filling and fine tune things if necessary the next day.

jblizzle

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 19, 2010
Tucson, AZ
Honestly I am surprised your pool is only at 60ppm with such high TA and pH fill water ...

Thread Status
Hello , This is an inactive thread. Any new postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. You will get much more visibility by Starting A New Thread