Apr 27, 2021
New Jersey
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Good afternoon all,

Usually I’m up & running by end of March but this season I haven’t started yet since I’m waiting on work to be done on our pool. With that said the water has gone from clear to this swamp thing. When ready should I consider drain an fill or just top this off and proceed with SLAM process? I guess it comes down to cost of chemicals vs cost of water bill in this case?

Attachments

• 6CD6063E-90A0-416C-A274-431E9B192D47.jpeg
    6CD6063E-90A0-416C-A274-431E9B192D47.jpeg
    435.5 KB · Views: 10
hey Envie and Welcome !!
I guess it comes down to cost of chemicals vs cost of water bill in this case?
Exactly. Some folks are forced into SLAM Process due to high ground water concerns or the shell being exposed in harsh UV climates. Others have no option for draining or refilling.

If none of those are a problem, draining as much as you can means you’ll only have to fight whatever is left. Even if it’s only 50% drained, it would be a big leg up in your favor.

Awesome thanks. Yes, i have heard those stories of them popping up from the ground. The pool had been drained 7 years ago when they did the plaster I remember them also removing the two plugs at the deep end an attaching a pump to suck water from it so it scares me to even think about it. Think I’ll go with the 50/50 route.

The pool had been drained 7 years ago when they did the plaster I remember them also removing the two plugs at the deep end an attaching a pump to suck water from it
*hydrostatic valve...... for exactly this reason to equalize the pressure on the shell when the water weight is removed.

So then there is probably considerable reason to have floating be a concern. Maybe drain 1/3 twice. Let’s check with @mknauss.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.