Scum line cleaning

tadcpht

Jul 17, 2012
Forest, VA
I am getting ready to close the pool, and have drained the water past the skimmer. I have about a 6in dark scum line around 3/4 of the pool above the initial waterline. I have read that magic eraser is good to use. I have bumped up my chlorine level to 11ppm to prepare for closing. Any thoughts on magic eraser? Is it ok at 11ppm to use? Thanks for any replies

Nursenini

LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Sep 22, 2015
Bixby, Ok
I love the magic eraser! Just make sure you have several. It takes about 4 or so to thoroughly clean my waterline and be careful when it starts breaking down that you aren’t leaving pieces in the pool. I haven’t noticed any problems with them regardless of my FC level.

appstategrad

Jul 12, 2014
Hickory, NC
I love the magic eraser! Just make sure you have several. It takes about 4 or so to thoroughly clean my waterline and be careful when it starts breaking down that you aren’t leaving pieces in the pool. I haven’t noticed any problems with them regardless of my FC level.
Does a magic eraser not discolor your liner? I have an issue with the dark stains too, but afraid using the magic eraser would take the print off the liner.

Catanzaro

Platinum Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 30, 2014
Monmouth County, New Jersey
Be very gentle on the liner with the magic eraser. Try a small spot first. I only use for the white fiberglass steps. Luckily, I have not had any scum lines on the liner. Maybe the pattern is too dark for me to notice, but have not seen anything.

appstategrad

Jul 12, 2014
Hickory, NC
Be very gentle on the liner with the magic eraser. Try a small spot first. I only use for the white fiberglass steps. Luckily, I have not had any scum lines on the liner. Maybe the pattern is too dark for me to notice, but have not seen anything.
Oh ok, yes I've used it on the steps before a lot of times. Thanks!

Nursenini

LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Sep 22, 2015
Bixby, Ok
Does a magic eraser not discolor your liner? I have an issue with the dark stains too, but afraid using the magic eraser would take the print off the liner.
My apologies!! I completely missed the fact that this was for a vinyl liner!! I was speaking solely regarding use on ceramic tile.
Be sure to test an inconspicuous place first to see how it reacts to the color on your liner. A scrub brush might be a better option though.

appstategrad

Jul 12, 2014
Hickory, NC
You might try Scrubbing Bubbles a Johnson & Johnson product. Just spray on and let sit for a couple minutes and wipe off. Worked great for us.

Regards,

Gary R.
Is there any damage to the liner with Scrubbing Bubbles? I've used it in a tub before but nowhere else. Does the chlorine consume the bubbles after use?

YippeeSkippy

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 17, 2012
Evans, Georgia
Someone else recently wrote in saying he/she used MagicEraser on their liner and ruined it. Please consider trying those pool scrubbing mitts and/or a plastic bristled brush before the eraser. Elbow grease will not hurt the liner, IMO.

Maddie :flower: