Screen Enclosure

Zamsaf

May 2, 2018
Central fl
I recently had a screen enclosure installed and I’m still finding plenty of bugs in my pool. Most are tiny that might be pushed in when it rains but sometimes I find large bugs like flys. Is this normal or is there an opening somewhere?

I have the standard. It keeps out leaves but I still get small bugs in the screen mostly when it rains. When we get rain I find a bunch of them in the water. I’m guessing the rain water pushes them through. Nevertheless I think I’m going to have the screen company come out to check because they’re a lot and it’s really annoying.

Please post what you find out from the screen company. We currently get biting tiny gnats in our neighborhood most noticeable at sunset time. I don’t know if a screen will stop them or not and if so what size is needed for the mesh.

We opted for the 20x20 screen after talking to our neighbors. The 14x18 screen allows no see ums in their pool area. Many neighbors get bites and end up with tons of little flies in their pool. I don't think the have larger flies getting in so I would look for a large gap at the door or an opening somewhere else. We are having the enclosure installed this week so can't give feedback yet. If it does keep no see ums out it is worth the $600 upgrade.

Reactions: NickCYC
Yes I’d I could go back I’d get the finer mesh. My PB didn’t really discuss the option with me and I spoke to the screen company and they told me the standard mesh will keep almost everything out.

Oh boy, you guys are making me rethink the decision once again. We were quoted an extra $900 for the 20x20. Everyone seems to say it isnt necessary, but almost feel like it could be money well spent or a waste if really not necessary.

It honestly takes me about 20 mins to skim the bugs out. They also only tend to mostly in when i get rain. They’re annoying but I know it could be much worse with no screen at all.

If I could go back i would choose the finer screen just to keep the pool clean and I have little kids who are terrified of bugs. However the normal screen is also good but light require you to skim the tiny bugs out every few days.

It honestly takes me about 20 mins to skim the bugs out. They also only tend to mostly in when i get rain. They’re annoying but I know it could be much worse with no screen at all.

If I could go back i would choose the finer screen just to keep the pool clean and I have little kids who are terrified of bugs. However the normal screen is also good but light require you to skim the tiny bugs out every few days.
We had an ant bloom recently, and there were a lot of tiny ants in the pool. We have standard screen. We wanted the extra air flow. We haven't had any issues with nosee-ums, and a little extra time running the pump took care of the bugs in the pool. We use hairnets on the skimmer basket, so the filter doesn't get clogged prematurely.
We also have a UV bug zapper that does a great job of getting the flying crawlies that do make it into the enclosure.

We had an ant bloom recently, and there were a lot of tiny ants in the pool. We have standard screen. We wanted the extra air flow. We haven't had any issues with nosee-ums, and a little extra time running the pump took care of the bugs in the pool. We use hairnets on the skimmer basket, so the filter doesn't get clogged prematurely.
We also have a UV bug zapper that does a great job of getting the flying crawlies that do make it into the enclosure.
Do you have No-see-ums in your area? Just wondering if the standard 18x14 will actually keep them out? Ants etc are a part of life I just don’t want to get bit up!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Do you have No-see-ums in your area? Just wondering if the standard 18x14 will actually keep them out? Ants etc are a part of life I just don’t want to get bit up!
Oh, yes, we have no-see-ums. We're in Pinellas County, less than a mile from the gulf. If we're outside at dusk or early morning, we'll get eaten up. Loving our screen enclosure, but the bug zapper helps a LOT.
We have 3 zappers.. one in the house, one in the pool enclosure, and one in hubby's garage.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200809-185202.png
    Screenshot_20200809-185202.png
    400.1 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Awesome! Yeah we have trees in the yard and a few blocks from the hillsborough River. At dusk it is awful! I get bites all near my ankles if I walk my dog or take my son to the park.

will look into that bug zapper!

I have heard some people say the 20x20 is overkill and others say that’s the only way to prevent no-see-ums.

maybe the 18x14 and a zapper will work

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.