Scholarship Fund?

crek31

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 28, 2009
I sometimes find myself with credit on TFTestkits or maybe even some extra disposable income I could divert to another (newbie) pool owner. I know at various times people balk at buying a test kit and/or "optional" speed stirrer (I would never choose to be without one) due to cost. Is there a way to have an account where we can assign our credits or pay into a fund to help people setting up their first Intex, or getting started with a new pool? I know this might take some (a lot?) of administration effort so I get it if it is not feasible to try. But if it is simple, I wonder if that is something that could be started.

I am just so grateful that I found this place when I first set up our little starter Intex and had tiny kids and no clue on water other than I wanted it clean and warm. I was able to buy the kit and get going from day one -- and I'd hate for others to miss out due to finances if it is as simple as helping them pay the difference between a Walmart type kit and the real thing.

Thanks for considering whether this is do-able.

Since I'm not affiliated with TFP other than offering advice, I'd say donate what you can to TFP every now and then to help keep the site up and running smoothly for all pool owners. The site keeps growing in numbers and it takes $ to upgrade all the time.

It's certainly a kind gesture but I agree with ping - donating to TFP allows us to keep the lights on and to be beacon of education and learning for those that find us.

I actually think it would be counter-productive to buy kits for people because it is rarely ever about the money. When people come here and start complaining about having to buy an expensive test kit it's typically because they have not yet accepted the premise underlying the TFPC Method - that a pool owner is completely capable of testing their own water and understanding how to add the chemicals that their pools need. They still have it in their minds that the pool stores are full of "experts" and "fancy digital testers" who "must know better than a bunch of kids on the internet sitting in their pajamas all day" and they simply don't believe that they can do the things we teach here. So, even if you bought them a test kit and delivered it in a shiny package, I doubt that they would use it. It takes a change in beliefs as well as skin-in-the-game (aka, investing in your own test kit) before a person is truly going to invest the time and effort into managing their own pools.

But, as I said, a very kind thought.

It's certainly a kind gesture but I agree with ping - donating to TFP allows us to keep the lights on and to be beacon of education and learning for those that find us.

I actually think it would be counter-productive to buy kits for people because it is rarely ever about the money. When people come here and start complaining about having to buy an expensive test kit it's typically because they have not yet accepted the premise underlying the TFPC Method - that a pool owner is completely capable of testing their own water and understanding how to add the chemicals that their pools need. They still have it in their minds that the pool stores are full of "experts" and "fancy digital testers" who "must know better than a bunch of kids on the internet sitting in their pajamas all day" and they simply don't believe that they can do the things we teach here. So, even if you bought them a test kit and delivered it in a shiny package, I doubt that they would use it. It takes a change in beliefs as well as skin-in-the-game (aka, investing in your own test kit) before a person is truly going to invest the time and effort into managing their own pools.

But, as I said, a very kind thought.

I can't agree more. Folks who complain of being cash strapped and refuse to buy a kit based on that OFTEN go back to the pool store and spend more cash. I've seen it countless times.

Of course if you're feeling particularly generous beyond donating to the site, I suppose you could communicate via PM and offer to buy a user a test kit.

Since I'm not affiliated with TFP other than offering advice, I'd say donate what you can to TFP every now and then to help keep the site up and running smoothly for all pool owners. The site keeps growing in numbers and it takes $ to upgrade all the time.

Did that. Donated "x" amount and got "y" credit at tftestkits. The credit is appreciated but I guess if I have the "extra" to have donated to the site to begin with, there is probably someone more in need of the credit - again, not trying to be ungrateful for the credit -- it is a nice bonus for sure and I have used it in the past.

I do believe there are people who do not order kits because they have to pay the rent first and I certainly think there are people doing their best to be tfp-ers but maybe get a kit to save their pool and slam but can't swing the speed stirrer at that time (new to pools, tons of chemicals to slam, new big kit, lots of expenses all at once). Or the parent with young kids setting up their first intex and from their posts it is clear they are here to learn, want to join the pool crowd, but can't afford their first real test kit which costs nearly as much as the pool. am just saying if I can apply my "y" credit to such a person, I am willing. Can't speak for others, but I bet others would, too. Nevermind though. Sounds unanimous it won't work.

crek31, you have a generous soul and a heart of gold I'd bet. I DO like the idea but as Dave said it would be a tuffie to decide on who would receive a free kit. Some new posters come in all gung ho and are willing to roll up their sleeves, do the work and follow instructions. Others come in with a green pool looking to clear it in a New York minute without investing a dime. They hang for a bit and then run off and spend their money at the PS because they think the kit is too pricey. But here's a thought....would it be possible to offer a mini TF100? Maybe less (in oz's) of reagents? Lots of folks have vinyl or intex pools and don't need to be quite as spot on for CH and therefore not include those in a mini version? When I joined I DID hesitate at a $70 kit but I bucked up and did it. Now I know it's worth every penny and them some. Maybe a mini version would let people "dip their toes" so to speak at taking charge of their own pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Usually folks come here with green pools. A TF 50 is too small for a slam on any size pool, thus the TF 100 is the go to recommendation. We don't get a lot of "I have a small brand new pool less than 5000 gallons that's clean and clear. What is the best test kit?" questions.

I've commented on this thread. And I've typed comments that I've deleted three times now as I'd like to be a recipient of this scholarship fund. I need r-0871 and would love a donation.

But for the small cost that is, I think it is sheer laziness that I simply haven't navigated my browser to the site to get it......oh no....it was lazy because I might have to find my credit card.

But.....I'm sitting on a 5 figure tuition bill due last month? If anyone wants to help?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.