Scale removal on liner

Kes

Apr 24, 2010
Worcester UK
For reasons we won't go into our pool has been neglected for two years. One of the ensuing problems is that is has scale, presumably calcium scale, on the liner. The (spring) water here is very hard.

At first I was encouraged as some of the scale is quite soft and can be brushed away with some effort. But elsewhere, where the circulation is bad or non-existant, it is hard like sandpaper underfoot and brushing doesn't seem to make any difference. So in desperation I have turned to a chemical answer. Draining and acid washing is not an option.

I have bought but not yet used Lo-Chlor No More Scale. This contains potassium hydroxide (that's all there is on the label). Does anyone have any experience or advice on using this type of scale remover? It seems to be highly alkaline, and I spend most of my time trying to lower the ph.

There's no warning about swimming whilst the pool is being treated. Is it OK to swim with this in the water? How long does the effect last?

It's a Delifol liner, quite tough but not indestructible.

I have no idea what the product is or how it works but if you are trying to remove scale, you need a LOW ph.

If it was my pool, I would carefully lower the pH down to 6.8 and keep it EXACTLY at that number for a few days (or more) to see if the scale will dissolve.

Reactions: kne
I have no idea what the product is or how it works but if you are trying to remove scale, you need a LOW ph.

If it was my pool, I would carefully lower the pH down to 6.8 and keep it EXACTLY at that number for a few days (or more) to see if the scale will dissolve.

I followed this advice at the beginning of the season and it worked. I had scale in various parts of my pool walls. Religiously kept my PH low for more than a few days and it eventually went away. When I had moved my cake steps to clean, I saw one of my milk jug cement blocks had split open and I had what I assumed was cement on the floor. I'm pretty sure now that was just calcium / scale build up because it also went away.

Try the low pH. Brush gently with a nylon brush. This might take many days to weeks, but it's the safest way.

What are all of the chemistry readings?

I don't know what's in the scale remover that you list because they list the ingredients as proprietary.

Sulfamic acid (Jack's #2) would probably be the most effective if the low pH doesn't work.

You could try going lower with the pH, but that risks damaging the liner.

Note that sulfamic acid will make all chlorine into combined chlorine for weeks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.