Scale on tile (SWG in Phoenix)

greser

Dec 13, 2017
Phx, AZ
I recently took on the responsibility of taking care of my pool. I have a 16000 SWG pool in Phoenix. There's a moderate amount of scale where the fountains come into the pool. My first set of calculations showed:
Fr Cl- 9.5
pH 8.0
TA 70
CH 575
CYA 33
NaCl 3800
SI 1.6
A program that I used suggested raising CYA to decrease scale. Would this help and to what level should I shoot for?

Thx, Greg

CYA (stabilizer) won't remove scale. It will however help your SWG work more efficiently. We recommend a minimum CYA of 70 for salt pools.

As for the scale, it boils down to 4 main (elevated) components - water temp, TA, CH, and pH. We know CH will be high in your area, water temp will go up in the summer, and your TA is fine. It's actually the elevated pH that's most critical to manage. It impacts the "CSI" the most drastically - see our PoolMath APP when you load your test results. By lowering your pH a bit and keeping the CSI slightly negative, you reduce the likelihood of scale.

Round up - it's not possible to read single digits on the CYA tube as it's logrithmic not linear.
Your estimated CYA of '33' should be read as CYA 40.

Fill out your signature with your pool, pool equipment (including manufacturer and model numbers) and test kit info. Be specific. This helps us to help you without needing to ask about your pool each time.

Thx proavia. I added what I have off the top of my head and will complete when I get home.
I did not know it's logrithmic (which is why I'm learning exponentially myself on this forum).
what's the best way to increase CYA?

Up in the Phoenix area I suggest you contact Mark White of Arizona Bead Blasting. He does pool tile scale removal and is a good guy, very professional. He used to do work down in Tucson but it wasn’t profitable for him to drive down here with all his equipment for one or two jobs and there are enough “hacks” in Tucson that do tile cleaning (poorly) on the side for cheaper so Mark really couldn’t compete with them. So he mainly operates in the Phoenix area.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.