Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
Hi,
New to the forum. Bought a new house with a 15 year old 30,000 gal. Saltwater “mineral springs” pool.
was constantly going to the pool store and they were selling me something every day. I add mineral springs renewal and poo juice weekly.

My friend told me about this site and it’s been great. I downloaded the pool math app and bought a test kit (saltwater 1766 test kit arriving tomorrow)
Here are my current numbers:
Fc 6
Ph 7.6
Ta 190!
Ch 180
Cya 70
Salt reading on meter - 2600 (more on this below)
So it seems like my readings are ok outside of total alkalinity, worth worrying about? We haven’t been swimming much due to rain and life getting in way but it will get some use starting today through the weekend.
My questions issues:
1. My salt reading is always significantly lower than what pool store says. I show 2600-2700 they show 3500! Like I said test is on the way, I’ve reset the salt cell thing a few times inspected the cell (Hayward turbo cell t-15) and it looked pretty good. power and clornie generator are on but inspect cel at check minerals always end up blinking. Could it be time for a new cel?

2. total alkalinity - should I worry about that or not really? I have tons of pool
Stuff in the garage (low and slow, balance pak 100 and 300, I know.. overpriced but I have it already so might as well use it)

3. I have a dolphin vacuum and it’s awesome but it gets stuck on drains in deep end, anyone have any ideas? I came upon this - anyone ever use before? Main Drain Clip-On - Pool Maintenance Simplified

Picture of pool attached

Attachments

• 206D9C68-8281-4742-83E0-DC1BE86BDE62.jpeg
    206D9C68-8281-4742-83E0-DC1BE86BDE62.jpeg
    694.8 KB · Views: 26
Welcome to the forum!
What test kit did you use to get those test results.
Using those pool store potions (mineral springs renewal and poo juice weekly) are entirely unnecessary and likely working against you. Also do not use dry acid, it will destroy your SWCG.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

I used a Taylor K-2006C, I’ll read up on the ABC’s. Interesting that you say they’re working against me.. but looking forward to learning why. I have a year’s supply becuase I just mirrored what the previous owner did.

OK, I've added it to my signature and took another test reading today. This is after a party I had on Saturday and good rainfall on Sunday.

FC - 2.6
pH - 7.8
TA - 170
CH - 160
CYA - 65
Salt - 3600 (see below)

Now I know that Pool Juice and Mineral Springs Renewal are frowned upon here for a few reasons with cost seeming to lead the charge. The issue is that I have a season's worth of this stuff in my garage (along with other pool store stuff like low n slow, super soluble, and more). Is it truly doing more harm than good? Or should I continue to use it since I have it and stop next year? The readings above were taken before adding any PJ or MSR, if that matters.

*Salt - I've consistently had issues between what my mineral springs meter reading says (currently at 2600) vs. what the pool store showed (always higher) and now what my test shows (3600). I reset/recalibrated but that didn't solve it and I took the cell off to inspect for scaling (hardly any) and cleaned it out with some water just for good measure, acid seemed like overkill due to lack of scaling. Could the cell be shot? Power and Generating sanitizer are lit but check minerals and inspect cell are always blinking. It was set to 40% but I've since upped that to 60% due to low FC (I think that's the right move here?)

Appreciate all the help, I'm new here and it shows. If you ever have any golf questions, I'm your guy! :)

Thanks!

For the SWCG - read Hayward Aquarite SWG - Further Reading. Low salinity being reported is one sign of a failing cell. But run the diagnostics on it.

What are the pool store potions made of? Typically they are phosphate removers, clarifiers, and borates. We only recommend adding products that you know what they are. It is your pool and you can use it, but realize that all they do is mask problems, not cure them. Chlorine cures about 99% of all pool chemistry issues.

Your FC is low. See FC/CYA Levels

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.