Save $1000 on a new car

Newdude

Jun 16, 2019
NY
Hey all. It was time recently to replace my 11 year old truck. We have always taken turns so we only have one payment. My truck didnt necessarily need replacing but if i skipped my turn, next time we would have needed 2 new vehicles and modern payments are outrageous. New trucks have become so expensive that even with the trade in, it was about $10k cheaper to keep my truck for projects and get a really nice car. I could have saved another $15k with a so-so car but keeping them as long as i do, i want it to be nice. So anyway, one of the features i really wanted was navigation. We take my wife's SUV most time for day trips (she has Nav) but it still would have been nice to have. When i found the exact car i wanted there were only 2 of them, both 400 miles away. One had the Nav and the other didnt, but had a suspension upgrade for the same $995. I figured the suspension would be fun everyday VS the rarely useful but oh does it come in handy that ONE time Nav. My local dealer wanted $300 to send a kid from the shop to go swap cars and drive it back. I wasnt upset with the price, actually found it very reasonable, but no way in heck i was letting a kid road trip in my brand new 485HP $50k car. So wifey and i took a field trip that saturday and were home in 10 hours. The car is a dream and the suspension with street/sport/track modes is awesome. Great decision but was still kinda bummed about the Nav. 2 weeks later i vaguely remembered seeing that all the new cars we thought about came with Apple Play. I had been connecting through bluetooth with very basic limited options, but a quick internet search said i needed to use the usb to activate Apple Play. I connected a hard wire and BOOM. Full mirror screen sharing. Everything from the phone up on the factory radio screen. INCLUDING not one but TWO versions of google maps. Which are far superior to whatever Crud factory Nav that was $995. Plus tax. And mine was FREE. I can even put it in google street mode to be able to not only see the streets but the actual trees/enviornment/buildings in real time. So if you are looking at new cars, you can probably find one with Apple play and save the money too. I imagine it will be standard on all vehicles soon, if not already. Of course you need an iphone too, which i absolutely hate but had to get for a medical App for my daughter that wasnt on Android at the time. Thanks for reading, sorry it was long. If i knew this in the first place i would have never even thought anout getting the Nav option.

**edit after going for a ride**. It’s ‘Apple Car Play’

Last edited:
Reactions: frogabog

jblizzle

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 19, 2010
Tucson, AZ
Google is far superior to any vehicle navigation that is outdated by the time you even get the car. I will never pay to add Nav to a car again, although seems that often it is lumped in with other more desirable options. I have not looked at the newest cars, it would certainly make sense to me to go away from the built in nav and just link to phones. The only risk being nav in an area where there is no cell coverage, although I think there are options to make the maps local to your phone is limited instances if you knew ahead of time.

And of course I give anything Apple a big (n) :LOL:

Reactions: Newdude

Newdude

Jun 16, 2019
NY
Trust me I wasn’t happy when I had to go Apple. But yeah, one of the google maps is the stationary map. It’s not quite turn by turn directions but would work in the middle of nowhere.

I don’t see the factory Nav going away anytime soon. Way to much profit for them to cut it before people stop paying for it.

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
I have factory NAVs in my cars and rarely use them. Usually using WAZE. And I never care is a rental car has NAV. The days of car manufacturers being able to charge extra for factory NAV are coming to an end.

I will not get a sport suspension on a daily driver car if it comes with rims greater then 19”. The lower profile tires are too susceptible to bubbles in sidewalks from pot holes. Looking cool is not worth the additional tire damage.

Newdude

Jun 16, 2019
NY
I will not get a sport suspension on a daily driver car if it comes with rims greater then 19”. The lower profile tires are too susceptible to bubbles in sidewalks from pot holes. Looking cool is not worth the additional tire damage.
I leave it in 'street' mode most of the time while kid/grocery getting. Its much tamer than the other 2. And at 500 miles, eco mode unlocked like a power up in a video game. I didnt even know it was gonna be a thing but was a pleasant surprise to ease up on the gas guzzling.

Arizonarob

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
TFP Guide
Mar 25, 2018
Chandler Arizona
You must me a real joy at Xmas time. “Can we open them now?” Open what? “The stuff you’ve been talking about!”

WHAT KIND OF FRIGGIN VEHICLE IS IT!!!
:laughblue: :laughblue:

YippeeSkippy

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 17, 2012
Evans, Georgia
I always used and love WAZE (owned by Google, by the way) but my new BMW's nav system is fabulous too, without the frequent messages from WAZE. The car has Appleplay but I've no clue what that does?
Does ApplePlay open up anything on your phone onto the screen?? LIke screen mirroring on the tv? Like Youtube vids??

Maddie :flower:

Newdude

Jun 16, 2019
NY
Does ApplePlay open up anything on your phone onto the screen?? LIke screen mirroring on the tv? Like Youtube vids??

Maddie :flower:
8 apps auto populated as soon as I connected. Both google maps, amazon music, Apple Music and I forget the others but they appeared specific to my phone. I tried 2 other apps that worked as well. When I get a chance to play with it some more I’ll see if I can select what comes up and what else works and let you know.

Reactions: YippeeSkippy

RMcGirr83

Gold Supporter
Nov 19, 2018
Tuscola, TX
Chevys have, among other things, one star. I refuse to pay for it and use Mylink and Android Auto. Hook in via USB and can use Google Maps or Waze as well as stream music from my phone, hands free calling etc. Heck you can get a Garmin and save as well (for those that don't have a smart phone).

Newdude

Jun 16, 2019
NY
Heck you can get a Garmin and save as well (for those that don't have a smart phone).
I used to have TomTom way back when and it worked great. I struggle to see the cellphone maps while driving even if it’s up on the dash so I really preferred using the much bigger factory screen. Which was going to cost me 10X as much as the Garmin (Boo), until it wasn’t on the car I found (Boo again). But now the phone links right up and works great for free (Woohoo).

The sales guy probably would have gone over it all but by the time we got there it was 445 on a Saturday. Both us and the sales guy wanted to be home. And as soon as he tossed me the keys, it started pouring with a thunderstorm so our parking lot chat got cut short.

Newdude

Jun 16, 2019
NY
Rain is super weird in places where it's not every day
We saw it blowing in while doing all the paperwork and got several severe weather alerts the last hour of the trip. Getting there so late on a weekend turned out to be an added bonus. Everybody wanted to go home and they didn’t even mention an extended warranty. I’ve wasted up to 2 hours before with the finance manager when buying a new car. ‘Yes sir, I understand things go wrong, but as with any insurance, they charge more than they spend so I’ll take my chances and if anything goes wrong I’ll use the pile of money I’ve saved from not buying extended warranties. ‘. But some dealerships are worse than Time share salesmen and will waste a boatload of your time.

PoolGate

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 7, 2017
Damascus, MD
I bought a new Daytona Charger in 2005 (2006 model year). Still have it! still love it! Got a new F-150 last year with Android Auto and suffered through it for almost a month before I deleted it from my phone and disabled it on the Sync3. I wanted to kill myself when I was using it I hated it that bad. I guess it's not for everyone! Glad you like it!

Griswald

Jul 7, 2014
Hope Mills, NC
Android Auto is the same but with Android devices. Just plug it in and instant screen mirroring. I understand Android Auto is coming out with a Bluetooth version so no plug required.

P.S. Ford Sync is awful...

Newdude

Jun 16, 2019
NY
Android Auto is the same but with Android devices. Just plug it in and instant screen mirroring. I understand Android Auto is coming out with a Bluetooth version so no plug required.

P.S. Ford Sync is awful...

I’m sure each manufacturer has their ups and downs with their specific interfaces. I only need the maps once or twice a year so it’s perfect for what I needed even if there is some hang ups. Coming home from the trip I had my 10 year old in the backseat telling me ‘it says to stay in the left lane and take 380 east.... whatever that means’. ‘Lol sweetie, thanks’

Newdude

Jun 16, 2019
NY
**update**. Just got an email from google saying I added a new Android device. (The car). In hindsight, the feature is ‘Car play’ and probably works with all phones. I met a lot of salespeople while doing research and the random one who mentioned it called it Apple Play probably due to using an iPhone himself.