Sandy-type debris keep collecting at bottom of pool

Sep 23, 2009
Greetings! I'm wondering about what's up with my pool, and if I might have a leak in one of my return lines or some :cheers: thing. Since opening the pool, it seems that after a couple days I'm continually getting this gritty, sandy type debris that builds up at the bottom of my pool. It clings to seams and corners, of course. At first I thought it might have been dead algae from opening or something to do with all the rain we've been getting, so I've just been vacuuming it to "waste" once a week or so. It's still going on, so I'm starting to get concerned. Are one of my return lines busted and taking in a bit of dirt? I don't seem to be losing a crazy amount of water ... maybe an inch a week with full sunlight from dawn to dusk ... seems normal, doesn't it? Or, is it possible that it has something to do with my changing the sand in my filter this spring? I was careful not to damage any of the fingers when I was vacuuming the old sand out, but maybe I did something by accident.

Any help or insight would be much apprecaited! Thanks in advance! :cheers:

Sometimes, the brand of media can be the difference between a lateral trapping sand or letting little bits blow by. Sometimes new sand being added without some cushioning water added first, can crack an old lateral. Without a water loss, this is more likely.

Hope you have a shop vac and unions on the MPV if it's top mounted.

Scott

Added: It's also possible there is an issue with the MPV. Any difficulties moving the handle? Is the handle spring still strong?

Scott

I was really careful not to damage the laterals at any point when changing the sand, but as I already mentioned it's still a possibility. I guess there's no way to know for sure without emptying the filter again and checking.

The MPV seems absolutely fine. The spring is still very strong and everything moves as it should. Yes, there are unions, of course. I really didn't want to have to empty that thing out again though ... I just did it a few weeks ago. :( I'll have to check the debris to make sure it's actually sandy-feeling.

Is there a way I can test to see if a return line is busted somewhere, or something to that effect?

First lets make sure it's coming from the return(s). Tie a sock over a return and run the filter for a while. check to see if there is any sand in the sock. If there is then more investigation of the filter is needed but if there's not then the sand is coming from somewhere else.

Also while you're at it do a bucket test to see if your losing water. I doubt that you are but it'll give you peace of mind.
  1. Turn off your autofill if you have one[/*:m:kou1w458]
  2. Take a 5 gallon bucket and fill it 2/3rds full of pool water.[/*:m:kou1w458]
  3. Set it on the top step or on pool edge.[/*:m:kou1w458]
  4. Carefully measure or mark the level of the water in the bucket.[/*:m:kou1w458]
  5. Carefully measure or mark the level of the water in the pool.[/*:m:kou1w458]
  6. Wait a day and measure the water levels in the bucket and pool and figure how much each lost.[/*:m:kou1w458]
If they both lost the same amount then you're good. If the bucket lost less than the pool there is a leak in the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.