Sandy soil foundation question

Scjordan1986

Apr 26, 2021
Texas
Hey guys and gals, I'm new here and had a few questions.

I recently dug down a 16x22 area 1 1/2 feet down to install a 14x20 semi in ground pool. Once the digging was complete I noticed that the soil is very sandy and was spongy. Since it has dried out a bit its not as spongy. Should I put a base down above the sandy soil before installing my pool frame? I plan on using 8x16x2 pavers on all legs.

My other question. Do I need to be worried about water getting under the pool in the future and causing it to sink. When it rained last week the hole I dug filled up pretty much completely. When I pumped it out I noticed a gopher hole that was steady allowing water back into the hole. This just concerns me that eventually water will cause sinking in the future.

My last question. I'm some what fed up with this pool install and researching everything. I have a friend that installs pools for a living. He suggested to fill in the 16x22 1 1/2 ft deep hole, compact it and build the pool up level with the rest of the ground. I'm okay with this, but I've read that building up is a no no. Can this be done with proper compacting and materials?

Before you dug the hole, was the surface stable after rain? I’m a little concerned about what you are describing - the further down you go, I would expect a more solid, not less solid, surface.

I also don’t understand the gopher hole reference - I’m in Florida and not sure we have anything like that around here! But we do have sinkholes and are always wary when we see a depression start in a previously level surface.

Is there another area where the pool can be installed on the surface, without having to refill a hole and hoping that there won’t be settling?

Last edited:
Before you dug the hole, was the surface stable after rain? I’m a little concerned about what you are describing - the further down you go, I would expect a more solid, not less solid, surface.

I also don’t understand the gopher hole reference - I’m in Florida and not sure we have anything like tha5 around here! But we do have sinkholes and are always wary when we see a depression start in a previously level surface.

Is there another area where the pool can be installed on the surface, without having to refill a hole and hoping that there won’t be settling?
I think a gopher (animal) has taken residence of this parcel of land and has dug tunnels through which water is flowing through. I am not sure if this is why the ground is unstable in this area or not.

I think a gopher (animal) has taken residence of this parcel of land and has dug tunnels through which water is flowing through. I am not sure if this is why the ground is unstable in this area or not.
Lol, I knew it was an animal! Was that the same issue in Caddyshack?

I also don’t understand the gopher hole reference - I’m in Florida and not sure we have anything like that around here! But we do have sinkholes and are always wary when we see a depression start in a previously level surface.

Yes, before digging down the ground was firm from what I could tell. Only thing I can figure is the previous owner of the home had back filled that area before. Although, my kids riding the go cart around the pasture you can tell our soil is sandy. We live north west of Houston in Grimes county.

As far as the gopher hole. It rained a few days ago and filled my hole up as if it was a pond. I pumped it out and while pumping it out, I noticed water rushing in through an under ground tunnel. Assuming it was a gopher hole.

I live on an acre and between where the house is, shop, driveway and leach field I can only think of one more place. Not an ideal spot that I would want it but could possible work. This time I wouldn't want to dig down, only remove the sod.

Even though he suggest he has a guy that can compact and fill the hole I've already made, I would still be concerned with settling in the future as well. Just kind of at a give up position right now and not sure what to do.

My next question. I have decided to move the pool to my other location and have a question about my ac condensor.

How close am I allowed to have my above ground pool to my ac condensor? 5ft? If I build a wood fence around my ac condensor am I allowed to go within the 5 ft. Building a fence around it wouldn't allow anyone to touch it while in the pool.

Bonding....I have also read that if the pool is 5ft or more away from any metal it does not need to be bonded. Is this correct as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.