Sanding plaster that has spalled

BMC CS

Apr 29, 2020
Minneapolis
Hi. I've been trying everything I can think of to avoid having to re-plaster my pool as the ROI just isn't there for how long I plan to live here. I have about a 20 Y/O in-ground pool with several sections on the walls where the plaster has flaked off. I've removed all loose plaster with a wire brush and am about to start sanding with a diamond pad to try and "feather" the spots so they're smooth to the wall. Doesn't need to be perfect, but it needs to be OK. Is this possible? I've never seen anything about it which leads me to suspect it's a bad idea. Anyone with advice would be very much appreciated!! Thank you.

Attachments

• 20200429_153355.jpg
    20200429_153355.jpg
    285.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 20200429_153351.jpg
    20200429_153351.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 21
As long as the pool is not leaking and no signs of rebar rusting then you are just doing cosmetic work.

The blisters were very shallow (<1/8"). No exposed cracks/rebar/rust. even concrete. I've never found any info regarding filling gaps that shallow, so I figured I'd have to sand them smooth. Just want to bounce that off people that have more experience than me before I dig in.

Your better off using some bonding agent and mixing a small batch of plaster and filling it. Yiu can also do same and use epoxy grout which you can feather in and it's safe underwater. Whatever you do, do it 2moro. Leaving pool dry with old plaster is asking for trouble it wants water to keep living

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.