Sand vs Glass?

tomfrh

Jan 30, 2018
Australia
I'm about to replace our zelbrite with regular filter sand (the zelbrite is a bit temperamental). Before I go to sand I want to make sure glass isn't a better option.

I'm happy to pay a bit more for glass if it's superior (or at the very least as good as sand).

Thoughts?

I have heard of more people giving up on zelbrite (glass) than giving up on sand. As you say the glass can be *temperamental* in that it gets gummed up and such. Sand can last forever with backwashing!

Stick with the sand

I have heard of more people giving up on zelbrite (glass) than giving up on sand. As you say the glass can be *temperamental* in that it gets gummed up and such. Sand can last forever with backwashing!
Stick with the sand
Zelbrite and all it's various packaged names at least in Aus is NOT glass.
Zelbrite comes from a naturally formed volcanic rock which is mined at Werris Creek in Northern N.S.W. Australia and is distributed around the world under multiple names.

It is definitely sharper than traditional sand indicating maybe that it can catch particles better and being from hard volcanic rock should be even harder wearing than most sands.
Just ignore the "regeneration" stuff.

Why Tom found it temperamental or others have issues is hard to say.

Personally i like it and have found it to be very effective and i'm also happy to accept it has been tested to filter as low as 2 microns under i assume ideal conditions :)

Reactions: Pins and kimkats
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.