Sand not good for pump?

lborne

Jun 29, 2009
Vero Beach, FL
I have been getting a lot of sand in my pool. It is coming from the Sahara and is a very fine brown sand. It settles in the corners of the pool and after vacuuming it up, the pump started making a terrible sound. I took the pump apart, cleaned it and it has been working fine with no noise for a couple weeks. But now there are more piles of sand at the bottom of the pool.

Is there a small filter I can put in-line of my vacuum hose to catch the sand before it goes into the pump?

If you vacuum through your skimmer you can use a skimmer sock to catch the sand.

You can also fasten a sock or nylon stocking over the return jet as a temporary fix to catch the sand before it gets in the pool, but you need to fix whatever is broken and allowing sand to pass into the pool.

I have been getting a lot of sand in my pool. It is coming from the Sahara and is a very fine brown sand......... ?
Sahara as in "Sahara Desert" LOL?

Dom

I'm not kidding - Sahara Desert sand - going as far as Texas - google recent news reports. This happens every so often - sometimes it just makes it somewhat hazy. But this time there is quite a bit falling out of the sky. I notice it most on the solar panels on the roof.

Anyway, I vacuum via a dedicated port. Can go thru the skimmer, but the hose goes right in the bottom - no adaptor or anything required, so no place to put a skimmer sock.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.