Sand is coming back into my pool

Cover it up

Jan 8, 2020
Alabama
Hi everyone! I have a problem with sand coming back into my inground pool from the sand filter. This past summer I noticed the sand and went ahead and replaced the entire lateral assembly, new sand and the gasket inside the flow valve. I still have sand coming into the pool. I have a Hayward S244T Pro Series filter with a Veriflo top mount multiport valve. Can anyone help?

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Just to address a few common areas to get started ..........
- You're positive it's sand? Feels gritty, etc?
- Did you use pool sand (Silica #20)?
- Any chance you over-filled the vessel?
- When you added the new sand, did you fill the bottom 1/3 or so with water before dumping the sand to prevent breaking a lateral?

Figured best to hit those basic areas before we go chasing too may loose ends. :)

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Just to address a few common areas to get started ..........
- You're positive it's sand? Feels gritty, etc?
- Did you use pool sand (Silica #20)?
- Any chance you over-filled the vessel?
- When you added the new sand, did you fill the bottom 1/3 or so with water before dumping the sand to prevent breaking a lateral?

Figured best to hit those basic areas before we go chasing too may loose ends. :)
Thank you for replying. Sometimes when I vacuum i can see it kind of disappear in a cloud but then I put a nylon sock over the skimmer basket and caught a bunch of sand. The sand was supplied by the pool supply store so I assumed it was correct. I covered the top of the 1 1/2" pvc pipe on the lateral assembly with tape so the sand wouldn't get in it when I put in the new sand. I did fill it half way with water before adding the sand and the filter called for 300 lbs of sand so that's what I put in it. The sand in the pool has a light brown color kind of a khaki color.

Well shoot, it sounds like you attempted to do everything correctly. Unless a connection at the center stand-pipe hub assembly or lateral knuckles came loose on you without your knowledge, nothing odd is jumping out at me. Hey @JohnT, what do you think?

Somebody mentioned mustard algae to me once but this seems to not grow like algae to me.
Before I got too wrapped-up in any type of algae, that's why I asked earlier if you ever felt the material you suspected was sand. There's no mistaking sand as it's got that gritty feeling. Plus, the sand should fall out of the return jets and lay nearby on the floor which is another sign sand is blowing through the filter. Now if the material you are seeing is not near the return jets (floor) and/or doesn't feel gritty like sand, it could be algae. If that's possible, we will have a new set of questions for you. ? So just let us know. You're in a better position to tell than we are. :)

Before I got too wrapped-up in any type of algae, that's why I asked earlier if you ever felt the material you suspected was sand. There's no mistaking sand as it's got that gritty feeling. Plus, the sand should fall out of the return jets and lay nearby on the floor which is another sign sand is blowing through the filter. Now if the material you are seeing is not near the return jets (floor) and/or doesn't feel gritty like sand, it could be algae. If that's possible, we will have a new set of questions for you. ? So just let us know. You're in a better position to tell than we are. :)
I'll double check the texture of it again. Also, it is in spots all over the bottom not just in the area of the returns.

Also, it is in spots all over the bottom not just in the area of the returns.
That is more suspicious. ? Based that, I would also recommend posting a full set of water test results, preferably from a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit. Those are your best, most reliable test kits to use at home. See Test Kits Compared

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.