Sand In Pool

Apr 24, 2014
St. Louis
I have sand in my pool, quite bit, after replacing a broken stand pipe and sand in my filter. My filter is a Blue Torrent D-500, and calls for 175lbs of sand. We CAREFULLY added the sand slowly after installing the new lateral assembly, about 150lbs of #20 silica sand, high grade. It is a 19 inch diameter filter, and when we were done adding the 150lbs there was about 4 inches left of the stand pipe . It was pretty full. We backwashed for a while, rinsed and pressure is good, but there is a lot of sand in the bottom of the pool. If I had to guess about 1/2 of a 50lb bag or more. I put a filter sock on the return, and when the pump is on low, not very much sand comes out, but when on high, it is quite a bit. A fist full after 1 minute. The multiport valve is only about 4 years old or less. Do you guys think it's the gasket? I have never replaced a gasket before, just the whole multiport. I'm baffled on what to do next.
Any help is appreciated!

Did you cover the standing pipe when you added the sand?

I don’t know why or how a gasket could cause that much sand to blow into the pool. I know it’s a new lateral assembly, but could there be broken laterals?

Did you cover the standing pipe when you added the sand?

I don’t know why or how a gasket could cause that much sand to blow into the pool. I know it’s a new lateral assembly, but could there be broken laterals?
I did cover the stand pipe, no sand got in that way. I thought at some point while reading on here someone said it could be a gasket on the mulitport valve. There is no way the laterals broke, I seriously went so slow adding the sand, filled with water prior to, etc. I would be really surprised if that was the problem. I really don't want to scoop out all that sand again if I'm pretty sure that can't be it, but if I do, I do. I was hoping it was going to be an easy fix!
I was hoping I just overfilled the filter with sand and it was expelling the extra, but with it calling for 175lbs and me only putting in 150, I just don't think that's the case. Even though there is no way any more than 150 could fit, it was FULL.

Was there a max fill line marked on the standing pipe?

I guess there is no harm in replacing the gasket.

Sand filters are usually only about half full of sand. That's strange that yours was so over full, and you didn't even get the full spec amount in. Are you 100% sure it called for 175 pounds? The only 18" Blue Torrent I can find calls for 110 pounds of sand.

I think you need to remove several inches of sand from the filter, and vacuum up what's in the pool. That will end up in your filter so make sure to leave room for that.

When I had my filter replaced, I got some sand that would come out when backwashing, but not in the pool. Just some reference point for you.

Sand filters are usually only about half full of sand. That's strange that yours was so over full, and you didn't even get the full spec amount in. Are you 100% sure it called for 175 pounds? The only 18" Blue Torrent I can find calls for 110 pounds of sand.

I think you need to remove several inches of sand from the filter, and vacuum up what's in the pool. That will end up in your filter so make sure to leave room for that.
4D9116CF-7A2F-49F0-B169-046F5BF2547C.jpeg
I agree, there is no way it was going to hold 175lbs, unless I’m reading it wrong?

Also, if you look below at the base you will see an opening where it looks like a pressure release hose or something goes in, this stand didn’t come with one. My last stand had one. Before I installed it I called the pool store and asked about it, and they assured me I did not need one for this unit. It is a Hayward stand pipe, which was the only one I could find to fit my filter. I could not find one that was Blue Torrent. Does this whole have anything to do with it I wonder?

0BDBE70C-F30F-48DB-9FDC-8918723CDC65.jpeg
49CAD876-6038-433D-A89D-0EFB36413E84.jpeg

How old is that filter? I can’t even find it on Blue Torrent’s website, nor can I find any 19” diameter filter on their site.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I know! I had a hard time too searching for it when looking for the lateral assembly. It’s only about 3 or 4 years old at the most. I even emailed Blue Torrent to get help but got no replies.
Hmmm. I think someone hit the wrong dot on yours. I agree with CrystalRiver. Aim for the amount of the smaller one in that grid and see how that works.

Maybe I should measure the circumference of the tank to get a ballpark of inches. When there is too much sand, how does it technically get out into the pool from the filter?
I think I will open it up and get some sand out and vacuum up and see what happens.

My sand filter has min and max marked on the standing pipe. Min is about halfway up, and max is at about the 75% mark. I think you should remove some sand and run it on rinse for a couple of minutes, then turn it to filter to see what you get.

My sand filter has min and max marked on the standing pipe. Min is about halfway up, and max is at about the 75% mark. I think you should remove some sand and run it on rinse for a couple of minutes, then turn it to filter to see what you get.
My stand pipe didn’t have any markings, I wonder if they punched the hole in the wrong spot on the outside of the filter.
So when I want to get the sand out of my pool I just vacuum it up while on filter, not to waste?
I will try that and see what happens! I will update the thread when I do. Thanks for all your help!

Reactions: kellyfair
I opened it up and it is now only half full of sand. Should I still remove some and see what happens? I might just put it back together and run it on high and see just how much more sand will come out. At least then I will have to scoop less out of the filter tank if I have to inspect the laterals at some point.
should I check anything else?

Last edited:
I opened it up and it is now only half full of sand. Should I still remove some and see what happens? I might just put it back together and run it on high and see just how much more sand will come out. At least then I will have to scoop less out of the filter tank if I have to inspect the laterals at some point.
should I check anything else?
Wow, that means you lost a lot into the pool! I would close it up and run on rinse for a bit, see if you lose any more sand out of the backwash port.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.