Sand in pool...fighting a losing battle!

dattia

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 12, 2008
West Chester, PA
Geez, I don't know where to start...except to possibly mention that I did not cover my pool last winter.

I have been fighting the good fight, armed with the knowledge that I have gained here. My Black/brown pool is now a lovely shade of light green and I am pleased with the progress. I have noticed a good deal of material going back into the pool from the return. I had a similar problem last year, but it seems insignificant to what I have now.

I cannot see the bottom of my pool yet, so I have been vacuuming blindly to remove the millions of pine needles. I vacuum and in less than a minute have to clean out the pump basket. Is that normal for pine needle removal? Unfortunately, my son is busy with end-of-school activities as he is about to graduate and hubby does a fine job of running the family business. The pool care however, seems to be a one woman show. Today when vacuuming and stopping to empty the basket, I noticed a clump of sand in the basket. On my second attempt, a great deal of sand in the basket and then I put my hand down into the housing and it was full of sand.

Alone and in a moment of desperation, I removed the cover from the filter and it was stuck on the center pipe, so in my effort to remove it, I moved the pipe out of place and couldn't get it back to where it belonged. I could see the laterals at this point, as I tipped the filter onto its side. I was able to pour off a good bit of water and sand and get the top disconnected from the center pipe. I tillted the laterals and was able to remove them and hosed them off. They look good, perfect, in fact. Now I am in over my head. With my filter on it's side, a ton of sand on the ground and laterals that look great, I don't know what my problem is.

I came here to search, but most answers to questions like mine seem to indicate broken laterals. My next step is to open the multi-port valve, but I cannot imagine that the amount of sand that I swept up could come from that unless it is a cumulative type of thing and I just happened on the spot it was accumulating to.

At this point, I am assuming that I will have to empty the filter of the sand completely and replace it. Darn, those filters are heavy... I tried to upright mine and failed. The mechanics seem pretty simple and even a novice like me knows that I will never clean my pool if my filter keeps spewing nasty stuff back into the pool.

What now?

Thank you for any ideas! (Oh... and I know covering the pool is the first good idea...but it just didn't work out that way for me this year)

Are you using a skim-vac plate or just vacuuming directly to the pump basket? If you use a plate and put the skimmer basket in between the vac and the pump you'll get a little more time.

As for the filter, yes, you'll need to pull the sand out. While you've got it out I'd go ahead and change the laterals and sand for new ones just to be sure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.