Sand in Driveway after Backwash

Kmharper

Jul 20, 2020
Arlington Texas
So I just had a new sand filter installed last week. Due to lots of recent rain, I needed to drain a few inches from the pool so the skimmer would work. I used the backwash setting to drain the few inches since I don't have a submersible pump. I did this yesterday. Today I noticed that on my driveway where the backwash hose is there is a LOT of new sand. Inspecting inside the hose there is additional sand. Is this normal to have a lot of sand emitted during the first backwash after a new sand pump installation? Or should I have not have backwashed to drain the pool the few inches it needed? I have a push-pull valve, by the way.

Thanks to all for your great advice!

Kevin

That’s a lot of sand. I suspect they overfilled it.

Remember you shouldn’t backwash too long and remember to use rinse mode once complete to settle the sand again. Also you can use waste to remove excess water, this by passes the sand.

Thank you for the quick response. Unfortunately, I don't have a multiport valve, so I can't rinse after backwashing or empty water from the pool using the "waste" setting, right? I hope it was simply too much sand, but he installed 250 lbs and I think my filter holds 275 lbs. Thanks again for your help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.