Sand going back into pool

Jun 12, 2016
Trumann, AR
I have a Summerwaves Sand Filter and it's putting sand back into the pool everytime I turn it on. I've only had it for two weeks.

The manual says to use Silica No. 20 sand with particle size range 0.45 to 0.85mm and a Uniformity Coefficient less than 1.75. It also says in the troubleshooting section that if sand is going back into the pool, it could be from a calcified sand bed or from using sand that's too small.

The sand I bought came from the local pool store, but it doesn't show any of that information. It only says that it's Silica sand.

I've looked around and I can't find anything that labels the particle size and Uniformity Coefficient, and I'm not even sure that I'm using the wrong sand.

What do you guys think? If it's not the sand, what else should I check?

If you got the sand form a local pool store it "should" be okay. Did you fill the filter partially with water before adding the sand? If not, you may have damaged a lateral which could result in the sand coming out. In some cases overfilling with sand can cause some to get blown-out as well.

Reactions: collinsj102
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.