Sand filter woes

Tjie77

Oct 23, 2019
Grafton, NSW, Australia
Hi all

was vacuuming the pool the other day and the pump started making weird noises. Turned it off then it wouldn’t start again. Just a buzz.
I noticed sand filter media in the basket area of the pump. Went to change the valve setting on the filter and it was full of sand. Pulled it all apart and 3/4 of the sand is missing?!? What the heck is going on here??? I have no idea where the sand has gone. It’s been in there 2 years.
I have a GAME SandPRO 75D pump and filter.
I’m thinking the sand has killed the pump bearing and something could be wrong with the filter valve?

I’m seriously thinking about junking the whole lot and getting a well known brand cartridge filter and pump. The cartridge filter thought come from my pool size - 8500L, and no backwashing.
what do you think?

Okay, so re-reading your first post, this all happened after vacuuming. It sounds as though you may have a broken or separated lateral that allowed a lot of sand to return to your pool. Then you vacuumed it up which is when you really noticed the extent of the sand missing from the filter. The sand vacuumed would've just gone through the impeller and back up into the filter and not the bearings of the motor itself. The motor (dry end) is separated by a shaft seal (unless it's bad). So your motor should be okay. Now it's a matter of finding out why the sand got out. In that case, you'll have to inspect each lateral, the lower hub assembly, and center stand pipe carefully.

Curious, did you have really cold temps last winter? Was the sand filter drained/prepped for winter?

Reactions: Tjie77
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.