Sand filter top hard to open

There is probably dirt and grit buildup between the lid and tank. Use some silicone spray or maybe PB Blaster to get that gunk out first. After spraying, use a toothbrush or other brush to help clean it out, then spray again. Be sure to clean up the mess really good and also lube the o-ring and threads before reassembly.

Thanks very much for your advice @proavia !
I had to replace the manifold on top of mine and thought I had it tight enough. I had a pool contractor come to estimate plaster replacement and he noticed a small leak. Had to tighten the cap up with a rubber mallet. So it may take a bit of effort to get it unscrewed.

Last edited:
I had to replace the manifold on top of mine and thought I had it right enough. I had a pool contractor come to estimate plaster replacement and he noticed a small leak. Had to tighten the cap up with a rubber mallet. So it may take a bit of effort to get it unscrewed.
You are right. I broke my wrench without open it. Do you know any more powerful tools for this?

The sell a metal wrench for those. i have one and when i have those impossiable to open lids the trick is use a wood board. 2x2 or 4x4. Set the end of the board on top the filter and hammer the wrench handle like a battering ram. It will loosen in about two good hits.

Hold on to one end of a 4ft long whatever 2x4, 4x4 or stick of 2inch pvc. Then rest the other end of the board on top the filter near the right side wrench handle. Bash the Darn out of the handle/hammer like a battering ram. Hold and Hammer the wood etc into the wrench handle as if you are going to throw the wood board as far as you can. Only dont throw the wood, just hit the wrench handle. You can also cut the top of the lid off. then cut into the rest of the lid. Break it apart, then replace the lid with a new one.

Hold on to one end of a 4ft long whatever 2x4, 4x4 or stick of 2inch pvc. Then rest the other end of the board on top the filter near the right side wrench handle. Bash the Darn out of the handle/hammer like a battering ram. Hold and Hammer the wood etc into the wrench handle as if you are going to throw the wood board as far as you can. Only dont throw the wood, just hit the wrench handle. You can also cut the top of the lid off. then cut into the rest of the lid. Break it apart, then replace the lid with a new one.
Thanks. What kind of metal wrench do you have?

Can you post a picture of your sand filter? My triton has a big custom fiberglass wrench you have to use so there isn’t any metal wrench available. Maybe I’m confused about the filter style you have.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The big black thing is the “wrench” you need to turn after engaging it with the black colored portion on top. Did one of those things break?

Can you post a picture of your sand filter? My triton has a big custom fiberglass wrench you have to use so there isn’t any metal wrench available. Maybe I’m confused about the filter style you have.
I do sand changes on all kinds of filters. I know which filter your talking about, the metal wrenches are worth every penny. He could still use the other handle of the broken wrench. If you use the end of a 2x4 and hammer the handle like your stabbing someone with it the lid will break free.

Attachments

• index2.jpg
    index2.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 2
  • index.jpg
    index.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.