Sand filter size too big?

Thank you! We are excited to give this pool thing a try! Can a pump be too big for a pool? I wanted to try to get a filter that we would only have to run about 4 hours a day but the intex filter says minimum 5500 gallons for the 2800 gph pump and we don't meet that minimum.

That should be fine- intex pools get terrible flow so the more the better. My only suggestion is to have a separate swg not a combination swg/pump unit.

Reactions: T. T.
I calculated your pool to be 6041 gal when full to the brim. When i had a 16x48 I think I ended up with 5500 gal with water level accounted for.

I ended up ordering the 2800 gph sand filter and the separate salt system that does up to 15,000 gallons. Thank you all for your help! Everything is selling out so fast so hopefully this order gets fulfilled. Now time for more reading to figure out what else I need.

Reactions: Mdragger88

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sorry to hop in here, but have the same question as the OP and am doing as much reading as I can. Can I ask why you recommend 2 units instead of the combo?

Mainly because if one part dies you either have to replace it with 2 new units @ once or add an additional unit depending on what breaks & if it’s still partially operable. Not sure how if I would want to have to deal with having 2 sand filters-
I’m pretty sure they share the same “brain” so that would make the latter scenario unlikely.

First year, and were using the stock 1200gph sand filter with a SWG rated to 15000 gallons. We will be upgrading the filter to their largest 3000gph over the winter one things get back in stock and the price gouging ceases.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.