Sand Filter - Replace drain stem/assembly

Rocco

Dec 23, 2012
Manassas Park, VA
I am helping a family member with their pool and the drain stem / assembly has a crack and needs to be replaced. Since this is on the bottom of the sand filter would I need to remove all the sand to replace the drain stem / assembly?

The filter is a Pentair Triton II TR-60.

Last edited:
You may want to tell us which make/model filter they have. I'm looking at Hayward 244Ts and there is only the option to replace the drain cap. The drain nipple/extender doesn't look like it can be replaced. Some Pentairs do have a replacement.

Rocco, there appears to be three different models of those drain stem parts depending on the filter and/or which was was installed. You can see them HERE. I noticed on one of the Q&As that while installed from the outside, the sand had to be removed. Unfortunately I have no personal experiencing replacing it so I'm useless. :laughblue::laughblue:

Poolzoom shows the same 3 options: Pentair Triton II TR40, TR50, TR60, TR100, TR140 Sand Filter Parts.

Positng an update. As mentioned above there are multiple options for the replacement stem based on model and year it was manufactured. The year and month of the manufactured date were punched out. The year was in 2 digit format and the month in letter (A-L).

With the part in hand I removed the sand from the filter.

I let the water drain for a day but the sand was still wet and couldn’t be removed with the shop vac. As a result I had to scoop it out with my hands.

Once the sand was removed I removed the old stem. It took a significant amount of force to get it to begin turning. However it did not break and came out with no issue once it was loose.

Used some Teflon tape on the stem and installed a new one.

Replaced the laterals while I had the chance.

The issue with sand getting back into the pool was due to the air relief tube being pulled out which left an exposed hole in the retun pipe.

The issue with sand getting back into the pool was due to the air relief tube being pulled out which left an exposed hole in the retun pipe.
Holy smokes. Didn't see that one coming. Good thing you dug in there. :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.