Sand filter questions

tlevy

Jun 3, 2015
Ottawa/Ontario
Hi all

I read on a few websites that sand should be replaced every five to seven years...because the sand edges get worn down and won't trap solids and particulates as well. I don't think that passes the sniff teat, but wanted some thoughts from this group.

Another question I have is about the plumbing - the sand filter does not have quick connects - should it? When i pop the top off to give it a deep clean, the plumbing will still obviously be connected - should I take this opportunity to cut the lines and install quick connects?

Much appreciated any insight from the TFP gurus...
Tom

18000 IG, SWG, 1/2 HP Tri Star + Solar PV direct DC Lorentz pump, Sand filtrt

Hi Tom! :wave: Your gut is correct on both notes. Sand doesn't go bad unless someone decides to corrupt it with pool store junk that gums it up. The deep cleans are all you need. As for the quick disconnects ... yes. Ideally you should have some unions so that you can remove the multiport more efficiently without wrestling with the plumbing, or in some cases cutting the lines. Hope that helps.

Sand is millions of years old. Getting beaten by waves, glaciers, and wind. A few years in your pool filter isn't going to ruin it in any appreciable way.

And yes to quick connects. It's not necessary but a little extra time this time will save you time every time you do it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.