Sand Filter Pressure range

thecanuck22

In The Industry
Jun 11, 2010
Vernon BC
Hello from BC (Okanagan) Canada.
So i have been lurking here for a few weeks and months before i registered, I have learned so much from this place, thank-you to everyone who contributes their knowledge!!

I have been looking for a guideline for my sand filter, in my life prior to TFP I was backwashing weekly, pump running 24/7 during pool season (mid-may to end sept).
Since being here I am running my pump and filter one day on, one day off, just started that after reading various posts about filter run times and such.
One thing I cannot find is how high can I let my pressure get on my filter? Clean it runs at 18#, I have been starting to backwash at about 22. How high can i let it get, or is that personal preference as to how hard I want to be on my equipment and how clean i would like my pool?
Thanks for taking the time to read and hopefully fill me in.

It is certainly personal preference. Most folks here recommend about an 8-10lb increase and then backwash. Because my normal psi is somewhat lower than normal (10), I will usually backwash around 14.

If my normal was 18psi, I would suggest backwashing not later than 25 or so.

I have recently learned that "aggresive" (too often) backwashing is the leading cause of lateral failure in a sand filter.

I know you didn't ask, but I would suggest a pump run time of 8-12 hours daily rather than 24 on/24 off.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.